How to celebrate Valentine’s Day if you want to have fun with friends

Jordan McDonald | Hatchet Staff Photographer

Valentine’s Day may typically be for romance, but don’t worry if you’d rather hang out with your friends. There are plenty of ways to hit the town without being bombarded by Cupid.

Cupid’s Undie Run
Feb. 13, 1716 I St.

Singles are encouraged to participate in the one-mile, fun-in-only-underwear run to raise money for the Children’s Tumor Foundation. Advertised as a party from the beginning to the end, the booze starts flowing around noon at the Asia D.C. and Eden nightclubs, and ends around 4 p.m. Although alcohol is allowed on the track, no drinks are sold during the run.

Run for charity (and also because sharing your Victoria’s Secret is fun), and help beat the $500,000 goal. Last year, the undie run raised more than $3.2 million nationwide to combat the genetic disorder neurofibromatosis, and this year the campaign hopes more people will drop their pants to save lives.

Rock climbing
Various
$30 to $50

Take your friends on an adventure for Valentine’s Day. Try bonding at Sport Rock, a rock climbing center in Alexandria for $30 a pop. They cater to both the experienced and to the amateur, and indoor and outdoor rock climbing enthusiasts alike.

Sport Rock also offers beginning and advanced classes for basic rock climbing and bouldering – rock climbing without a harness – although newbies are encouraged to climb with a harness first.

Chocolate tastings
Feb. 10 and 14, Various
$32 to $90

What’s love without chocolates?

If your sweet tooth is aching, Trummer’s on Main is hosting a special pop-up dessert shop on Feb. 10 to celebrate Valentine’s Day a little early.

Acclaimed pastry chef Douglas Hernandez will craft a gourmet three-course menu dedicated to desserts, with exotic dishes like hazelnut-filled profiterole, milk jam with candied doc nibs, basil lime consommé and roasted fruit garnished with hazelnut cake for just $32 per person. If you want paired drinks with your meal, it will be an extra $22.

Co Co. Sala, the District’s very own chocolate boutique, is hosting a five course “50 Shades of Chocolate” dinner, complete with a free glass of bubbly. Every single one of the dishes, both savory and sweet, include an element of chocolate intertwined in increasingly unique combinations.

Take the Mahi Mahi, for example. The fish is laced with a fennel pollen and milk chocolate infusion, while the Strawberry & Basil Teaser adds white chocolate to its basil leaves. Not so sweet is its $90 per person price tag – gourmet chocolate isn’t cheap.