Find vintage gifts for your old-fashioned friends

Media Credit: Jillian DiPersio | Hatchet Photographer
Literature-inspired soy candles are among the old-timey gifts you can buy at Analog.

Do you know that one person who laments over the loss of the “good old days,” covets all things remotely vintage and loves discussing literature? Do you panic when you need to get them gifts? Analog, a quaint and cozy shop where you’ll find everything from cat-shaped tape dispensers to vintage plaids, has got your back. Near Catholic University, Analog is located at 716 Monroe Street NE.

Gocco screenprints ‒ $15
Sometimes those “Animal House” posters just aren’t authentic enough. Fortunately, Analog offers prints, made with the vintage Gocco system, that push the boring decorations aside and give those white dorm room walls a unique vibe.

Framed in a white protective sleeve, all of the screen prints at Analog are hand-pulled and often collaged with vintage stamps. You can get screenprinted images of D.C. townhouses in muted sepias, different funky-colored graphics such as those of vintage suitcases, and if you feel a little scandalous, of former D.C. Mayor Marion Barry and his infamous line, “Bitch set me up,” which he muttered after the FBI arrested him on drug possession charges during a sting operation.

Literary soy candles ‒ $15 to $30
Have you ever wondered what Jane Eyre smells like as a candle? What about Wuthering Heights? From the company Handmade Habitat, Analog sells soy candles in flavors like lavender, grapefruit and vanilla – each inspired by a different piece of famous literature.

Old souls will appreciate all of the vintage finds Analog has to offer.

The bookworm in your life will thank you for introducing them to the Pride and Prejudice-themed pomegranate aroma. Who doesn’t love the smell of old books?

Paper Lover’s DIY Envelope Kit ‒ $45
If you’ve got one of those friends who prefers typewriters to computers, they’d probably rather send snail mail than shoot you a text. Now, you can even help them craft their own envelopes to send out their holiday cards.

The vintage air mail sheets and “special delivery” labels help recreate the nostalgia of sending handwritten letter, and the letter file box allows them to organize their mail. The kit also includes 50 sheets of varied vintage prints, an envelope template, 20 ledger pages, 10 vintage manila air mail tags and 72 vintage filing labels.