Kickstarter for Phi Kappa Psi alumnus raises $23,000

Camille Ramasastry | Hatchet Photographer

Phi Kappa Psi members have raised more than $23,000 to help cover medical costs for a former member.

The fund, which was started on GoFundMe on Nov. 12, will help fund treatments for alumnus Francis DiBona. DiBona, who graduated in May, was diagnosed with leukemia earlier this month.

Phi Kappa Psi President Brandon Kumar said that the chapter is looking to raise as much as possible for DiBona, as medical bills “can pile up.” The campaign, which was created by an alumnus and former member of the fraternity, has already exceeded its fundraising goal of $10,000. Kumar said there will be a fundraising event for DiBona after Thanksgiving.

“We encourage all GW students to come show their support for an amazing individual. After all, he is a GW alumnus, and an amazing one,” Kumar said.

DiBona was Phi Kappa Psi’s chairman of philanthropy during his two years at GW. After he transferred from Quincy College, he helped raise about $10,000 for Tragedy Assistance Program for Survivors, an organization that provides services to the family members of Armed Forces soldiers who died on active duty.

“He did an excellent job of getting everyone involved and engaged in what we were doing, which allowed us to achieve more as an organization. I think it was largely because of his desire to lead by example. He set a standard of excellence when pursing a project – and he held others to that,” Kumar said. “When he ran our philanthropy, he spent every free moment he had working to build it into something great.”