Phi Kappa Psi under investigation

Camille Ramasastry | Hatchet Photographer

The University is investigating Phi Kappa Psi, the national organization confirmed Friday.

Blake Yeaman, the interim executive director of the fraternity’s national organization said the organization is aware of an ongoing investigation and that it would continue to work with the University.

“I know there’s something going on with the University. GW hasn’t told us what the investigation is about. What happens is, when GW tells us what’s going on, we do the things we need to do to cooperate with the University,” he said.

University spokesperson Kurtis Hiatt said GW does not comment on ongoing investigations and declined to provide details.

“Any charges against a student organization that result in a finding of misconduct and sanctions are reported online at the conclusion of the process,” he said.

Phi Kappa Psi President Brandon Kumar declined to comment.

Cocaine residue, a stun gun, marijuana, drug paraphernalia and alcohol were found after an administrative search of the fraternity’s 23rd Street townhouse unit last month.

GW also investigated Phi Kappa Psi in April. The fraternity is cited for sexual misconduct, disorderly conduct, hazing, underage drinking, dishonesty and hosting an unregistered social event with alcohol, according to GW’s official sanction list. The chapter faces deferred revocation of chapter status until April 2017.

Yeaman said after the investigation is complete, the national organization will work with GW to reduce risks within the group.

“Sometimes it’s an issue with an individual. Sometimes it’s cultural or an issue in the house. Our goal is to get rid of people who are violating rules and educate the rest,” Yeaman said.