Hit the books – with your parents

There are a few things the next president should know and some GW professors are providing the expert scoop. Check out these classes with your parents, without the stress of a midterm exam.

With topics ranging from Olympic bids to becoming an expert problem solver, you might leave the 50-minute courses feeling smarter than your parents.

“What the Next President Should Know About Sport Management From Youth to Professional”
Oct. 16
Marvin Center 307
4 p.m.
Associate sport management professor Lisa Delpy Neirotti

If you’re looking for a reason to talk sports during next year’s election, stop by this class to learn about the current issues affecting college and professional-level athletics. Lisa Delpy Neirotti, an associate professor of sport management, wants students and their families to get in on the conversation about athletes’ rights and how federal legislation could support them.

In the course, she’ll cover topics ranging from government regulation of the sports industry to Nike’s ability to import and export goods.

“Sports is so much part of a society,” Neirotti said. “Even if the president has no decisive power to change anything in the sports industry, his opinion is of interest to the people.”

“What the Next President Needs to Know about the Value of STEM Education”
Oct. 16
Marvin Center 307
5 p.m.
Associate biomedical engineering professor Jason Zara

While the next president most likely won’t be an engineer, it’s important that she or he starts to think like one. Jason Zara, an associate professor in the School of Engineering and Applied Science, is teaching a class on the value of science, technology, engineering and math classes.

Through short activities, the class will guide students and their families toward thinking like an engineer and acting more like an educated and involved citizen. For example, Zara will discuss the value of analyzing public data and polling accurately in order to make educated voting decisions.

“This is bigger than teaching people technology,” Zara said. “What we are doing is trying to give people life skills that are valuable way beyond engineering fields and other things that include things like strong analytical thinking skills.”

“The Power of Story – Theatre as a Catalyst for Societal Change”
Oct. 17
Marvin Center 310
2 p.m.
Theater professor Leslie Jacobson

Get to know your parents better – with theatrical exercises.

Instructor Leslie Jacobson, a professor of theater, hopes that activities like interviewing partners and sharing stories with the class can help participants bond.

“The premise is that human beings are fascinated by stories, our own stories and other people’s stories, and that theater is the best way to help us empathize with other people’s stories,” Jacobson said.

She said the class can help parents and students better understand different generational perspectives.

She will also be sharing her own experiences about using theater as a vehicle for social change around the world, in places like South Africa.

“I’m interested in people finding ways to share significant things about themselves with each other that aren’t going to be embarrassing,” she said.

Victoria Sheridan contributed reporting.