Alumni Weekend to include student-alumni networking event

Need a job? Head over to Alumni Weekend events.

For the first time this year, Alumni Weekend will include a networking event to connect alumni with students who are looking for jobs or internships. Jeremy Gosbee, the president of the GW Alumni Association, said in an interview that the Friday afternoon event ties into a three-part plan to bring alumni and students closer.

“The career center does a lot of work to sponsor opportunities for alumni and students to connect with each other, but we’re looking this year to do that actually as part of Alumni Weekend, starting with a big student‒alumni networking reception,” he said.

GW’s alumni relations office already hosts online networking events to connect current students with alumni who work in different fields, according to the University website.

In May 2014, trustee Mark Shenkman donated $5 million to boost the Center for Career Services. And last year, trustee George Wellde donated an additional $1 million to the center.

Gosbee said the event could also just be a chance for alumni to meet students and discuss their shared interests or experiences at GW instead of sticking specifically to job talk.

“Certainly the alumni are there to engage a little bit in nostalgia about GW and meet some students, and students are there to meet some alumni,” he said. “There are certainly no rules about what they have to talk about.”

The networking reception will be held on Friday at 4 p.m. in Alumni House.

Colleen Murphy contributed reporting.