Be a little classier this semester

Be a little classier this semester

Heading back to school doesn’t mean you have to sit through required classes and lectures all day.

If you haven’t finalized your schedule yet, it’s not too late to add some credits. From crime scene photography courses to home decoration classes, spend a few hours a week indulging in a field outside of your major.

Politics and Film with Elisabeth Anker
Tuesdays from 11:10 a.m. to 12:25 p.m. and Thursdays from 7:10 p.m. to 9:40 p.m.
1957 E Street and Funger Hall

At the most politically active campus in the nation, you can still build up your knowledge of movie trivia. After watching movies like “12 Angry Men” (1957), “Zero Dark Thirty” (2012) and “Elysium” (2013), you’ll discuss how they relate to issues like democracy, economic inequality and the environmental politics.

The class will feature some reading too — you’ll study works by French philosophers Alexis de Tocqueville and Michel Foucault as well as environmental expert Rob Nixon.

In My Home with Emily Bishop-McKenna
Wednesdays from 6 p.m. to 9 p.m. from Oct. 3 to Nov. 21
Academic Building on the Mount Vernon Campus

Take advantage of the Corcoran–GW merger by signing up for a class through the arts school.

Some Corcoran classes are designed with budding artists in mind, like First Year Studio I, but In My Home is “recommended for those whose interest in interior design is limited to the decoration of their own home.” Even the most aesthetically challenged people can dabble in the arts — and spruce up their dorm room while they’re at it.

U.S. Popular Music and Cultures with Gayle Wald
Mondays and Wednesdays from 3:45 p.m. to 5 p.m.
Old Main

Have you ever wondered what makes pop music so popular? In this class, you’ll learn how music genres — like jazz, rock and country — and music icons, like Elvis Presley, are linked to topics like race, class and sexuality. You’ll get a look into music scenes historically rooted in D.C. — from go-go to punk rock.

There’s no final paper, but at the end of the course you’ll give an oral presentation called “Critical Karoake” — you’ll analyze a song in the amount of time it takes to listen to the song while it plays in the background.

Photography in the Forensic Sciences with Edward Robinson
Mondays from 4:10 p.m. to 6 p.m.

All those “Law and Order” marathons might finally pay off for this class, which will let you put your crime-solving skills to the test.

You’ll learn about forensic photography used to capture crime scenes and how to study photographs as evidence. You will also be taught close-up forensic photography technique and learn about the different types of equipment used to take forensic photographs.

Sociology of Sports with Richard Zamoff
Mondays and Wednesdays from 12:45 p.m. to 2 p.m.
Duques Hall

Can’t get enough of GW basketball games? Whether you’re a sports fan or just interested in sociology, you don’t need any prerequisites to take this course that examines how sports function as a “social institution.”

Using sportswriter and radio broadcaster Dave Zirin’s book “A People’s History of Sport in the United States,” you’ll study the history of sports over the last 50 years and how it has been linked to topics like gender, race, education, economics and politics.