What’s the deal with the ‘Superdorm?’

Katie Causey | Photo Editor
Katie Causey | Photo Editor

It’s a bird! It’s a crane! No, it’s Superdorm.

When the Class of 2019 starts sophomore year at GW, its members might get the chance to live in the University’s newest residence hall.

District House, built directly next to the Marvin Center between H and I streets, topped out in May when the final frames of the building’s top floor were added, according to a tweet from Director of GW Housing Programs Seth Weinshel. Construction on the residence hall is planned to be finished in fall 2016.

Want a spot in the $130 million residence hall? Sophomores and juniors will be able to live in the 898-bed building, and Weinshel told students at a Student Association meeting last year that the building will have affinity suites for student groups with “significantly sized” dining and living areas.

Seven of those units will be for student groups with 16 members, and seven more will house 20 members, a step Weinshel said was to free up student space because groups will be able to use their suites for meetings.

The affinity suites will be brightly decorated in either blue, green, orange or yellow, with coordinating doors and colored accents throughout the room, like a small rug or backsplash. Weinshel told the SA Senate last year that the color of the room will depend on the floor of the residence hall.

The 64,000 square feet building will also house five dining venues in its basement, similar to the layout of the basement of Shenkman Hall, but officials will not know the retailers until about six months before the building opens.

Officials held a residence hall naming contest for the building in March 2014, where other options included Tricentennial Hall, Unity Hall and University Commons.

In a video released to announce the name of District House, nicknamed “Superdorm,” University President Steven Knapp told his dog, Ruffles, that she would not be the namesake of the building.

If you’re not planning to live in an affinity, District House has other housing options for students. Apartment-style rooms with two bedrooms, two bathrooms, a living room and a kitchen will cost students $14,240, and the building will also include other rooms with a kitchenette and bathroom.