Bon appétit: New eateries near campus

Desiree Halpern | Photo Editor
Desiree Halpern | Photo Editor

Breakfast, lunch or dinner, eating out in the District is guaranteed to be great. D.C. is home to Vikram Sunderam, the Rasika chef and winner of the James Beard Award as “best mid-Atlantic chef.” Rose’s Luxury was named the “Best New Restaurant in America” by Bon Appetit magazine and Jose Andres opened another restaurant, China Chilcano, this year.

For the latest in trendy eats and comfort foods near campus, check out these new restaurants in walking distance:

Second State 1831 M St. NW
At this Pennsylvania-themed restaurant, you’ll have popcorn to munch on before your appetizers arrive — and you can get a bread basket with orange butter for $3.

Entrees range from $19 to $36, so if you aren’t splurging on bone in rib-eye steak or pecan-crusted trout, stick to the shared sides like truffled macaroni and cheese with sour cream and an onion crumb topping ($12), pinto beans cooked in bacon and root beer ($6) and mashed sweet potatoes ($9).

Second State only serves beer brewed in the Keystone State. The restaurant asks you to go phoneless for your table — and with $8 cheddar pierogies sauteed with bacon, caramelized onions and brown butter to focus on, that shouldn’t be too hard.

DBGB Kitchen and Bar 931 H St. NW
This restaurant specializes in beef, pork and sausage, so when you’ve had your fill of pasta and sandwiches, head here to indulge. Vegetarians need not worry — there are plenty of hearty veggie dishes on the menu too.

Try the $15 Tunisienne, a spicy sausage served on a bun with spinach and chickpeas, or the $13 Thai sausage with green papaya and basil fried rice. For a big, albeit pricey, burger, go for the $19 Frenchie, a beef patty with pork belly, tomato and onion compote and morbier cheese on a potato bun, served with fries.

Channel your inner kid with a $5 petite ice cream sundae: strawberry rhubarb with oatmeal streusel and almond pound cake, chocolate ice cream served with a chocolate chip cookie or raspberry ice cream served with ginger marshmallow.

Panera Bread 1750 H St. NW
With nearly 2,000 North American locations, you’ve probably been to Panera before. The chain switches its menu based on the season, but stick to what they do best: soup in bread bowls, chicken salads and baked goods.

Salads like the Fuji Apple and the Asian Sesame, which both come with grilled chicken, cost between $6 and $9. And with a long list of $5 soups, from salty French onion to creamy tomato to gooey broccoli cheddar, you’ll keep toasty even when you’re cramming for finals in the winter.

Pastries are cheap and filling — nothing costs more than $3 — and the chocolate chip cookie is particularly good. If you find yourself invited to a potluck or hosting a meeting, you can order a coffee cake from Panera for $15 and pick up a coffee to go.

Which Wich 1803 E St. NW
The name says it all — which ‘wich will you pick? The restaurant offers options for carnivores, vegetarians and vegans (vegetarian sandwich filling in a bowl or in a lettuce wrap).

A small sandwich ($6) will get you a 7-inch sub, a medium ($9) 10.5-inch and a large is perfect to split or save at 14-inches for $12. Customers looking to cut back on calories can have the middle of the bread scooped out, saving 90 calories for a small sub and those looking to nix bread can order a Lettucewich for $6.

Its extensive menu looks a little overwhelming, but get past the seemingly endless combinations to select your meat (or seafood or vegetables) from the Hula, ham and pineapple, to crab salad to artichoke hearts. Which Wich furthers its customizability by letting you choose a “hotwich” or a “coldwich.”

Centrolina 974 Palmer Alley NW, Washington, D.C. 20001
This restaurant is all about regional Italian fare: Think daily handmade pastas, seasonal produce and grilled entrees. For a not-so-casual dining experience, you can expect stylish white walls accentuating the floor-to-ceiling glass.

At Centrolina, the menu stays short, sweet and to the point, with pasta options that dress up some familiar classics like the raviolo ($20), which includes sheep’s milk ricotta, a runny egg and pesto and the $24 spaghetti alla chitarra, which includes chanterelle mushroom and wheat berry. Wood-fired meat and fish selections include items like $24 calamari and $26 fried lamb.

Hatchet reporter Kathleen Baltazar contributed reporting.