Second-year law student’s death ruled a suicide

Media Credit: Photo courtesy of Kristen Tassone.
Gregory Levine with friend and GW Law School classmate Kristen Tassone. Classmates said they would remember Levine, who was found dead on Nov. 13, as a loyal friend and strong student.

Second-year law student Gregory Levine’s death has been ruled a suicide, the D.C. Chief Medical Examiner said Monday.

The 27-year-old was found dead in his Jefferson House apartment on Nov. 13. Levine was originally from Woodmere, N.Y. and was interested in international criminal law and space law. Friends and professors said he was kind and attentive to the people he loved.

Levine externed with U.S. Army JAG in Fort Belvoir, Va. during the fall semester. He was a member of 11 student organizations at one point during his time at GW, including the Military Law Society, Space Law Society and Criminal Law Society. He was also the historian of the American Constitution Society for the last two years.

Levine was a 2010 graduate of Dartmouth College, where he studied philosophy. He taught at the Aston English School in China as an undergraduate and studied at the University of Oxford this past summer.

Levine’s family did not immediately return a request for comment.

In a presentation to the Board of Trustees last month, Dean of Student Affairs Peter Konwerski highlighted a need for the University Counseling Center “to have a presence in” the law school and the larger graduate school population.

A portion of next fall’s 3.4 percent tuition increase will go toward boosting mental health resources on campus. Those funds could cover hiring the equivalent of about eight positions – including counselors, a case manager and psychiatrists. Part of the increase will also go toward training and programming.

Another GW Law School student, Mark Lee, who was in his fourth year of law school, was found dead in his Columbia Heights apartment on Nov. 30. The D.C. Chief Medical Examiner has not released his cause of death.