Meat Week: Prepare for a ‘Smoked Meat Smackdown’ and ‘Hogzilla’

The week dedicated to the best barbecue-sauce-slathered meat returns to D.C. along with 12 other cities this week. From San Antonio to Philadelphia to Chicago, meat lovers are meeting up for all-you-can-eat deals, extra saucy specials and the chance to pig out on brisket, beef and – of course – pork.

Monday

Hill Country Barbecue Market, 410 7th St. NW. 6:30 p.m.
Kick off Meat Week with an all-you-can-eat feast at Hill Country, which will give out cards for a free draft beer, cocktail or dessert for a future visit to the first 200 attendees. This Texas-themed joint is known for its slow-smoked foods and smooth beers on tap.

Tuesday

Pork Barrel BBQ, 2312 Mount Vernon Ave., Alexandria, Va. 7 p.m.
Try the Belt Buster – smoked sausage wrapped in bacon topped with pulled pork and coleslaw – for $10. Or attendees who organize a team can participate in the Smoked Meat Smackdown, a barbecue eating relay with three rounds of pork, brisket, sausage and sides. The contest begins at 8 p.m., and the winning team will receive three gift cards.

Wednesday

Fat Pete’s BBQ, 3407 Connecticut Ave. NW. 7 p.m.
Fat Pete may not sound like the guy to go to for farm fresh veggies, but this restaurant is not just a barbecue spot: It specializes in perfectly smoked vegetables served alongside your choice of meat. Mention that you’re there for Meat Week and get 10 percent off your tab.

Thursday

Sweet Fire Donna’s, 510 John Carlyle St., Alexandria, Va. 7 p.m. $15.
Get ready for what Donna’s calls “Hogzilla:” the $15 special includes chipotle-crusted pork tenderloin, Texas beef sausage and brown sugar bacon, topped with jalapeño citrus mayo, creamy coleslaw, crispy pickles and melted Monterey Jack cheese on a toasted baguette.

Friday

Rockland’s Barbecue & Grilling Company, 2418 Wisconsin Ave. NW. 7 p.m.
Rockland’s has spread to four locations in the D.C. area because of its barbecue sauce and homemade rubs. Its original Glover Park restaurant will celebrate 25 years this year.

Saturday

Acre 121, 1400 Irving St. NW. 11 a.m.
Saturday is the only two-for-one of Meat Week. Begin with brunch at Acre 121, where live music is king and line-dancing is encouraged. Pair the most important meal of the day with $15 bottomless mimosas.

BBQ Bus at Denizen’s Brewing Co., 1115 East-West Highway, Silver Spring, Md.
Keep it casual for dinner. Head to this barbecue store on wheels in Silver Spring for comfort-food classics like black bean and corn salad with a heaping box of chicken off the grill.

Sunday

Mr. P’s Ribs and Fish, 1708 6th St. NW. Noon.
Kickback on Super Bowl Sunday with tangy pork ribs, macaroni and cheese, and sweet potato pie. Mr. P’s only accepts cash and it’s an outdoor joint, so dress warmly.