Staff member of 40 years was ‘irreplaceable’

Judy Arkes, an academic editor for GW and longtime staff member, died Thursday. She was 73 years old.

Cheryl Beil, associate provost for academic planning and assessment, said Arkes spent her 38 years at the University acquiring an “incredible amount” of knowledge of her department.

“She looked for coherence in new programs and through her questions, she helped faculty create better programs,” Beil said. “I like to think that no one is irreplaceable. I make an exception with Judy, she is not replaceable.”

An administrator found Arkes unconscious in her Rice Hall office on Thursday at about 11:15 a.m. She was having trouble breathing and was transported to GW Hospital, according to a police report.

Provost Steven Lerman said Arkes accomplished a variety of tasks during her time in the Office of Academic Planning and Assessment, such as convincing the University to transfer to electronic workflows and online bulletins.

He said at Friday’s Faculty Senate meeting that members of the GW community would remember Arkes for her work ethic and vibrant personality.

“She is someone who I think made the institution better,” Lerman said. “For those of you who knew her in your time here, she will be very much missed. Our sympathies go out to her family.”