FotoWeek DC events for the budding photographer

Leah Edwards | Hatchet Photographer
Leah Edwards | Hatchet Photographer

Whether you’re an expert in the darkroom or a novice whose only photography experience is on Instagram, don’t miss the opportunity to hone your craft at FotoWeek DC.

As the week-long festival wraps up this weekend, you’ll have the chance to chat with local artists, browse new galleries, attend workshops and even meet award-winning photographers like Bill Ingalls.

If you’re looking to get an expert opinion on your portfolio, learn how to brand your work or just look into a new hobby, read on.

Thursday, Nov. 13

Artist talk with Bill Ingalls
Meet award-winning NASA photographer Bill Ingalls, who will speak about his 27 years of experience photographing everything from the first launch of a U.S. citizen on a Russian rocket to the burial of Apollo 11 astronaut Neil Armstrong. He’s photographed from just about everywhere, too – from inside the Oval Office to inside a hurricane and even inside an active volcano. At Ingalls’ talk, you’ll have 30 minutes of networking time, followed by a question and answer session. Make sure to register ahead of time to get a spot.

National Geographic Staff Auditorium, 1145 17th St. NW. Registration and networking 6:30 p.m., artist talk 7 p.m. $5 with student ID, $15 general.

Women Photojournalists of Washington reception
At this free event, you’ll have the opportunity to meet 14 of D.C.’s most talented female photojournalists and get a peek at their newest work, which will be displayed in the gallery’s Women Photojournalists of Washington Annual Juried Exhibition. Don’t miss award-winning photographer Ami Vitale’s stunning worldly photographs, which were awarded best in show. It’s an opportunity for networking, learning from the pros and taking in some great art – not to mention the free drinks and snacks.

Fathom Gallery, 1333 14th St. NW. 6:30 to 10:30 p.m. Free, RSVP online.

Jim Marshall book signing with Amelia Davis
Photographer Amelia Davis, who served as the assistant to music photographer Jim Marshall for the last 13 years of his life, will sign copies of “The Haight: Love, Rock and Revolution,” a collection of Marshall’s photographs released in October. She’ll also share stories of her time working with Marshall, illuminating the stories behind his hundreds of world-famous photographs. Marshall, the only photographer at iconic events like Johnny Cash’s Folsom Prison concert and The Beatles’ last live concert at Candlestick Park, has photographed artists including Jimi Hendrix, Janis Joplin, Chuck Berry and The Rolling Stones.

Leica, 977 F St. NW. 6:30 to 9 p.m. Free admission, book available for purchase.

Friday, Nov. 14

FotoBazaar Opening Party
Ditch stuffy exhibits and pretentious crowds for this one-of-a-kind gallery, which features the work of 250 local artists, which is available for purchase. FotoBazaar provides space to any and all artists interested in showcasing and selling their work, so if you didn’t make it on the list in time this year, you’ll have a chance to learn the logistics of exhibiting in the next one. At the opening party, you’ll also see this year’s featured artists, meet other D.C. photographers and curators and enjoy music by DJ Sean Peoples and DJ Smudge, plus photo booths and an open bar.

FotoBazaar Central, 51 N St. NE. 6:30 to 10 p.m. $15 early bird, $20 day of event. This is a 21+ event.

Saturday, Nov. 15

Avenues for Exposure seminar
If you’re ready to start showing your work in galleries and magazines but aren’t sure where to start, don’t miss this seminar. David Bram, photographer and founder of Fraction Magazine, will join Jennifer Schwartz of nonprofit Crusade for Art to discuss how emerging artists can get exposure for their work. You’ll take a crash course in landing deals with galleries and publishers in addition to using online photoblogs.

Leica, 977 F St. NW. 3 to 5 p.m. $50

Branding Your Photography seminar
Already familiar with the ins and outs of getting published? Learn how branding your photography can boost your exposure at Bram and Schwartz’s second seminar of the day. The duo will talk about all components of personal branding, from your portfolio to your website and social media accounts, leaving photographers with the tools to get recognized.

Leica, 977 F St. NW. 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. $50

Sunday, Nov. 16

Portfolio review session
Register for a 20-minute portfolio review session with Bram or Schwartz, who will offer photographers feedback on both printed and online work. While the price may be a blow to your wallet, you’ll get one-on-one advice from experienced photographers who have worked as portfolio reviewers across the nation.

Leica, 977 F St. NW. Appointments available noon to 5 p.m. $40 per session