President of Tau Kappa Epsilon replaced amid investigation

Hatchet File Photo by Christal Schmid | Hatchet Photographer

Tau Kappa Epsilon’s alumni board has removed the fraternity’s president from his position, while the Greek organization remains under investigation for misconduct.

The alumni board replaced senior Adithya Sharma with junior Nathan Hopkins, a TKE spokeswoman said. Last month, the chapter’s charter was temporarily suspended because of an ongoing investigation following a marijuana arrest.

Nancy Sterling, a spokeswoman for TKE’s international organization, said it was “fairly safe to assume” that Sharma was removed because of the investigation. She did not have any update on the investigation, which kept the fraternity from initiating new members this fall and participating in Greek events.

“It was best for their own organization,” she said.

The recently appointed president will stay on until the end of the semester.

Sterling said it is “not uncommon” for an alumni board to decide to change chapter leadership. Each fraternity has its own alumni group that is independent of the international organization.

Sharma said in an email that he and the chapter’s vice president both “stepped down,” but he declined to give details about the investigation or provide the date when Hopkins became president. Hopkins did not return a request for comment.

Center for Student Engagement Director Tim Miller and Greek Life Director Christina Witkowicki declined to comment on the leadership change, deferring to the chapter.

TKE is the second fraternity to switch up chapter leadership this semester. A sophomore took the helm of Phi Sigma Kappa in October, which came a month after a report of a sexual assault at the fraternity’s townhouse. That case remains open.