How to get recruitment ready

Photo Illustration by Erica Christian | Photo Editor

If you’re a sorority sister, chances are you’ve received some friendly reminders to make sure your nails and hair look snappy. When it comes to getting ready for recruitment, true beauty may come from the inside – but a blowout or fresh manicure won’t hurt.

Whether you’re on the hunt for the perfect pedicure, wax or brow treatment, we’ve got the stops for all your beauty needs.

Nails: Oriental Oasis
Don’t waste your time sitting perfectly still for an hour at the nail salon only to be unhappy with the result. Check out Oriental Oasis, located a few blocks from the White House, for a well-priced manicure-pedicure that doesn’t skimp on quality. With services like the gel manicure ($35), traditional manicure ($15) or just a polish change ($10), Oriental Oasis has the goods to satisfy your manicure needs. Our tip: Snag a package for a mani-pedi plus hour-long massage for $129.

Oriental Oasis Day Spa, 1090 Vermont Ave. NW. Open Monday 10 a.m. to 7 p.m., Tuesday through Friday 10 a.m. to 8 p.m., Saturday 9 a.m. to 7 p.m., and Sunday 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. Appointments available online.

Brows: Dupont Threading
Dealing with eyebrows last minute can be tricky: Using tweezers can turn you into a victim of over-plucking, but waxing too close to an event can leave your skin looking raw. That’s where threading, a brow-sculpting technique that uses threads to clean up unruly brows, comes in. If kiosks at the mall have turned you off from the idea, you can put your mind at ease knowing Dupont Threading has earned a stamp of approval from the Washingtonian. Plus, it’s easy to pop in on short notice: Walk-ins are welcome and it will only set you back $12, compared to other nearby salons where prices range from $25 to $30.

Dupont Threading, 1314 18th St. NW. Open Monday through Friday 10 a.m. to 7 p.m., and Saturday through Sunday 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. For appointments: (202) 293-1748.

Hair: Aveda Institute
If you just spent money on new clothes and accessories, an extra $80 for hair could make you want to hold on to your split ends. That’s where the Aveda Institute comes in – cosmetology students will cut your hair under the supervision of licensed professionals. Nervous about having a student cut your hair? The $12 cut and style price should help take the edge off.

Aveda Institute, 713 7th St. NW. Open Monday 10 a.m. to 8 p.m., Tuesday and Thursday 11 a.m. to 8 p.m., Wednesday 9:30 a.m. to 8 p.m., and Saturday 11 a.m. to 7 p.m. For appointments: (202) 824-1624.

Wax: Nectar Skin Bar
If you love the poshness of Georgetown but are intimidated by its upscale pricing, Nectar Skin Bar can keep your skin smooth without setting you back too far. The bar charges $25 for an underarm wax and $35 if you want to clear the hair off your lower legs. The bar also uses hard wax, which dries on the skin and is peeled off, for those who find the cloth strip method too painful.

Nectar Skin Bar, 1633 Wisconsin Ave. NW. Open Monday 11 a.m to 5 p.m., Tuesday through Saturday 10 a.m. to 7 p.m., and Sunday noon to 5 p.m.