A guy’s guide for what to do during recruitment weekend

Photo Illustration by Sam Hardgrove | Hatchet Staff Photographer

The men on campus will need to make plans without some of the ladies this weekend, with recruitment events running into the early hours of the morning. (And there’s the friendly rule that they’re not allowed to go out). Grab a group of friends and try some new bars, check out a music festival for the first time or go outside for the last warm days of the year.

1. Drink up at Snallygaster Beer Fest

Recruitment weekend comes around just in time for the annual Snallygaster Beer Fest, a five-hour booze festival with a brew selection from across the country. Ditch your slice of Pizza Movers at home for over 250 types of craft artisan beers and food vendors, including Big Cheese and D.C. Empanadas. Plus, all proceeds go to nonprofit Arcadia Food, so it’s drinking for a cause, right?
Yards Park, First and N streets SE. Event runs 1 to 6 p.m. Tickets: $25 or $50 depending on entry time.

2. Stay classy with a cigar night

If you’re hoping to be more Don Draper than Mike “The Situation,” hit up cigar hub Georgetown Tobacco for an ample stock of cigars, pipes and smoking accessories. Pick your poison and take a seat at the shop’s indoor cigar lounge. Bonus: Pack up your cigars and take your smokes to the Kennedy Center’s terrace for an Instagram-worthy view.
Georgetown Tobacco, 3144 M St. NW. Open Monday through Thursday 10 a.m. to 9 p.m., Friday through Saturday 10 a.m. to 10 p.m., and Sunday noon to 8 p.m.

3. A twist on Ultimate frisbee

If you’re tired of dodging tourists between throws next to the Lincoln Memorial, take the game to Rock Creek Park instead. Shake up the traditional game with “Frisbeer,” a drinking game in which players aim the frisbee at empty cans.
Rock Creek Park, 3545 Williamsburg Ln. NW. Open Monday through Sunday, 6 a.m. to 7 p.m.

4. Jam out at the All Things Go Fall Classic

Take a break from Echostage and check out Union Market instead, where alumnus Zack Friendly will co-host the inaugural All Things Go Fall Classic music festival Saturday. The 10-hour festival will feature indie and electronic headliners like Tove Lo, Haerts and Future Islands, plus food from vendors like Dolcezza and Takorean.
Union Market, 1309 Fifth St. NE. Tickets: $50 in advance or $60 at the door.

5. Sports, sports, sports

Catch one of the eight different football games that start Sunday at 1 p.m. Stay close to Foggy Bottom at The Exchange Sports Saloon (1719 G St. NW), a cozy bar that also happens to be the oldest saloon in the District, or 51st State Bar (2512 L St. NW), a hallmark with a jukebox, 10-cent wings and a happy hour from 4 to 7 p.m. daily. If you’re looking for a more upscale option, try the pub BlackFinn (1620 I St. NW), for game-night entrees and signature cocktails.