Your roommate game plan: How to prepare for…

Illustration by Sophie McTear | Design Editor

Media Credit: Illustration by Sophie McTear | Design Editor

…Parties and hook-ups

If you like to party, let your roommate know. If you don’t, speak up now or forever spend your Friday nights somewhere else. Decide whether you’ll be OK with your room serving as the go-to pre-game spot. Also, figure out what you’ll do if you or your roommate want alone time with someone. Work out a system to notify each other and set reasonable time limits. This might also be a good time to think about where to go when you’re locked out of the room for the afternoon.

…Housekeeping and shopping

Use a calendar to designate chores and keep a running list of who last bought supplies. Be careful not to become the mom of the room – you shouldn’t feel like you have to buy every roll of toilet paper the entire year.

…Sharing?

Some people like to share and some don’t. It doesn’t always come down to an “only child” versus “one of 10 children” upbringing, but it’s best to discuss what’s off limits rather than make assumptions. You don’t want to be frantically searching for your favorite shirt, only to find it in your roommate’s hamper. And if you share food, make sure you keep your other roommates in the loop when you run low. No one likes opening an empty box of cereal in the morning.

…Morning and nighttime routines

Who is going to shower first? By what time do lights need to go out? Some like to make these decisions on a day-to-day basis, but when your roommate hits snooze five times before his 8 a.m. class, it may be time to set some ground rules. And if you need an hour to get ready, make sure you don’t make your roommates late in the process.