Last year’s top news stories in 140 characters or less

August
1. Dean Doug Guthrie was fired after administrators found that the GW School of Business had overspent its budget by about $13 million.

2. GW announced it would require juniors to live on campus, starting with the Class of 2018.

September
3. After lobbying from student groups, the University removed its two-year time limit to file a formal complaint for sexual assault.

October
4. GW admitted that administrators consider financial need when accepting applicants after years of misrepresenting itself as need-blind.

November
5. City and campus police botched two gun threats on campus, after what a top official called a “breakdown in procedure.”

December
6. Mayor Vincent Gray, an alumnus, announced he would seek re-election, despite allegations of corruption that have followed him since his first mayoral bid.

January
7. Freshman Sean Keefer, a Clark Engineering scholar, was found dead in his West Hall room in what was later ruled a suicide.

February
8. GW announced a surprise merger with the Corcoran, marking its largest academic takeover in more than a decade.

March
9. No more long walks to Student Health Service: GW announced it would move SHS and the University Counseling Center to campus.

10. GW received its largest-ever donation from philanthropists Sumner Redstone and Michael Milken, and renamed its public health school.

April
11. Counseling services will be offered on the Mount Vernon Campus next fall, following the suicide of a third student in West Hall.

12. Senior Carlos Pacanins, a member of the Tau Kappa Epsilon fraternity, was fatally struck by a car in College Park, Md.

May
13. GW will spend $25 million in the first phase of renovations for the Corcoran.

14. José Andrés delivered the Commencement address. Yes, he did talk about paella.