Five cheap ways to fight off the Freshman 15

Media Credit: Zach Montellaro | Hatchet Staff Photographer
Capital Bikeshare, D.C.’s bike rental program, makes it easy to pedal across the District.

1. Ditch studios for community yoga groups

D.C.’s yoga studios can be a pricey way to stay in shape – with each class costing upwards of $15. Thankfully, a number of groups offer free sessions. Kali Yoga Studio in Columbia Heights holds open classes every Friday and Sunday.

2. Join a running club

Sign up with programs like DC Capital Striders, Pacers and I Run You Run, which all host runs at least once a week. Not only will you get to meet other runners in the area, but the competitive environment will push you to pick up your pace.

3. Take advantage of the Lerner Health and Wellness Center

“Included in tuition” isn’t exactly the same as free, but since you’re already paying, you might as well check out the workout equipment and programs at the fitness hub known as HelWell. Besides the dozens of cardio machines, yoga mats and a fully-stocked weight room, the gym also offers free fitness classes during the first week of every semester and finals.

4. Skip the Uber

We know – it’s tempting to avoid the walk to Georgetown and roll up in an Uber car instead. But you’ll be happy when you save some money and walk off those Baked & Wired cupcakes.

5. Bring your bike from home

You don’t have to ride it to every class, but a bike ride is cheaper than a cab and can be faster than the Metro. Try taking a ride around the monuments at dusk. Or, if you’re unable to drag your bike to D.C. from home, rent a Capital Bikeshare. You’ll see them everywhere, so might as well try it out.