From grandparents to friends, places to celebrate with everyone

Cameron Lancaster | Assistant Photo Editor

Media Credit: Cameron Lancaster | Assistant Photo Editor
Pinstripes Bowling and Bistro in Georgetown offers bowling, bocce and a diverse menu.

Ruby Lee | Hatchet Staff Writer

As if finalizing plans for summer and fall isn’t stressful enough for recent graduates, they also have to entertain visiting family members. Use our guide to piece together a weekend that will satisfy parents, siblings, friends and significant others.

For friends

Libertine
Located in Adams Morgan, this popular Parisian-themed bar has the best of both food and drinks. Libertine’s claim to fame is its impressive drink menu, featuring more than 20 different types of absinthe and a variety of cocktails. The absinthe offerings range in price from $10 to $22, and the menu includes an in-depth description of every drink’s region of origin. If you have doubts about trying absinthe, Libertine offers reasons to give it a try. But if you don’t want the high proof of absinthe, the bar still has you covered with an extensive list of wines and bottled beers. The seasonal menu, which currently features treats such as Banh Mi sandwiches ($13) and mussels, gives options for food to compliment your drinks.

Libertine, 2435 18th St. NW. Open Monday through Thursday 5 p.m. to 1:30 a.m., Friday 5 p.m. to 2:00 a.m., Saturday 10 a.m. to 3 a.m. and Sunday 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.

“American Cool” at the National Portrait Gallery
The “American Cool” exhibit at the National Portrait Gallery looks at what the word “cool” means in U.S. culture. Photographs of iconic figures make up the show, starting from the birth of “cool”

Media Credit: Leah Editors | Hatchet Photographer
The “American Cool” exhibit at the National Portrait Gallery exams the meaning of the word “cool” in U.S. culture.

in the 1940s and following the evolution of the word through modern times. Walk through each decade and see how popular figures have shaped the nation’s culture, with each chosen by the museum curators using a four-part rubric. The exhibit includes celebrities like Frank Sinatra, Hunter S. Thompson, Madonna and Jay-Z. “American Cool” will be open until the end of the summer.

The National Portrait Gallery, 8th and F streets NW. Open 11:30 a.m. to 7 p.m. daily.

For younger siblings

Comet Ping Pong
Known for its mouth-watering pizza and appearance on Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives, Comet Ping Pong in Chevy Chase is more than just your average neighborhood pizza joint. Past the bright neon sign on the front window are a handful of Ping-Pong tables for patrons to test their skills ($0.50 per game). Popular menu options include hot wings ($6) and trademark pies such as The Yalie ($15) and The Smoky ($13). Picky eaters can choose their own toppings. For older attendees, Comet boasts a sizable beer list with an option for every palette.

Comet Ping Pong, 5037 Connecticut Ave. NW, open Monday through Thursday 5 p.m. to 9:30 p.m., Friday 4 p.m. to 10:30 p.m., Saturday 11:30 a.m. to 10:30 p.m. and Sunday 11:30 a.m. to 9:30 p.m.

For parents

Barcelona Wine Bar
This popular bar and restaurant has delicious food and substantial wine choices. Open until 2 a.m. on weekends and midnight on Sundays, Barcelona Wine Bar offers late-night eats, including meat and cheese pairings ($6.50 each) and a variety of dishes like rib-eye steak with mushrooms and grilled lamb chops ($4.50 to $14). Parents and wine lovers won’t leave unsatisfied, since Barcelona stocks wines from around the world, including options from Spain, France and Argentina. On summer nights, restaurant-goers can enjoy courtyard seating under the stars. The dessert menu is the perfect way to end the night, with both savory and sweet dishes like the Apple Rhubarb Crisp ($5), churros with chocolate sauce ($8) and crepes ($7).

Barcelona Wine Bar, 1622 14th St. NW, open Monday 4 p.m. to midnight, Tuesday through Thursday 4 p.m. to 2 a.m., Friday 2 p.m. to 2 a.m., Saturday 11 to 2 a.m. and Sunday 11:00 a.m. to midnight.

For the entire family

Pinstripes Bowling and Bistro
New Georgetown hotspot Pinstripes Bowling and Bistro offers good food and a variety of games like bowling and bocce to keep the family entertained. The space takes up more than 40,000 square feet, and the restaurant and bowling alley are divided between two floors. Each bowling lane has plush couches and dining areas for mid-game snacking. The restaurant has brick-oven pizzas, flatbreads, sandwiches and pasta dishes.

Prices range from $5 per person/game Sunday through Thursday to $9 Friday and Saturday after 5 p.m. Tip: Ask for the complimentary pinstripe ankle socks when renting shoes ($4 per pair).

Pinstripes Bowling and Bistro, 1064 Wisconsin Ave. NW. Open Monday through Thursday 11:30 a.m. to 11 p.m., Friday 11:30 a.m. to 12:30 a.m., Saturday 10 to 12:30 a.m. and Sunday 10 a.m. to 10 p.m.

For significant others

Sticky Rice
A mix between U.S. and Pan-Asian cuisine, Sticky Rice offers delicious twists on traditional menu options. The two-story restaurant includes a bar and one-of-a-kind atmosphere complete with lantern lighting and bright art. The main staple is the sushi menu, which has cleverly named inventions such as the crunchy shrimp Godzirra roll ($12.75) and the tempura octopus 2000 Leagues roll ($7.50). No meal is complete without a bucket of the famous tots ($8.50), which rivals Tonic’s. Sticky Rice also provides a wide array of vegan and vegetarian options, making it a great place for all types of eaters. Plus, Thursday is free karaoke night, and Friday and Saturday feature guest DJs.

Sticky Rice, 1224 H St. NE. Open Sunday through Wednesday 11:30 to 1 a.m., Thursday 11:30 to 2:00 a.m., and Friday and Saturday 11:30 to 3:00 a.m.