District Flea showcases vintage finds

Erica Christian | Assistant Photo Editor

At District Flea, you can pick up an iconic White House postcard, but not to write a note home to mom and dad. At vendors like Sturgis Antiques, the postcards are already written in – by friends, family members and lovers in the 1960s.

Now in its second year, District Flea hosts more than 100 vendors where visitors can peruse tables of vintage treasures and handmade novelties, lingering between booths to chat with store owners and negotiate prices. The market features everything from antique cameras and letterman jackets to handmade bars of soap, candles and terrariums.

District Flea is the brainchild of D.C. native Hugh McIntosh, who wanted to bring New York’s street market empire, Brooklyn Flea, to the emerging youth culture of D.C. Before District Flea, McIntosh took positions as a musician and adjunct professor at GW, where he taught American literature two years ago.

This year, McIntosh will add 40 new vendors to his carefully curated mix, focusing especially on local small businesses and homemade goods. To respond to the District’s growing taste for interesting, tapas-style foods, he is also adding new food vendors like José Andrés’ food truck, Pepe.

Navigating through the endless choices of vendors can be overwhelming, but our quick guide will help direct you toward two veteran and one new must-see tables.

Joint Custody
Go for: A vintage store specializing in vinyl records

Thumb through Joint Custody’s extensive collection that includes everything from punk, soul and hip-hop and you might find a dusty gem like Led Zeppelin’s rare “Physical Graffiti.” Prices average $10 to $20, with more limited albums at the top of the price range and homemade bootleg recordings at the lower end.

Gary Langworth, a record enthusiast, sat behind Joint Custody’s tent at District Flea, explaining to visitors why vinyl is the ultimate source for quality listening.

“It’s just the format in general. It shows intention to listen to music – you have to have intent. It’s not like an MP3, where you just conveniently listen to it. It’s definitely a format that engages the listener,” he said.

Media Credit: Erica Christian | Assistant Photo Editor
District Flea will be open every Saturday through October from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. at 945 Florida Ave.

Sturgis Antiques
Go for: Rare consignment goods reflecting historical moments

At Sturgis Antiques, a new vendor, buyer Christian Sturgis auctions vintage pins from past elections, army jackets, and of course, the already written postcards. For the past 17 years, Sturgis has spent his hours scavenging for unique and ancient items, finding historical perspectives along the way.

“I’ve dealt with a lot of apothecary collections, and my apothecary collecting has gotten me into so much more of the history of European moors coming to Spain in 400 or 500 A.D., bringing tin-glazing and medicine and all the acquired knowledge that they got. Everything’s a starting point,” he said.

The Mid-Atlantic Club
Go for: Clothing and accessories from the ‘80s and ‘90s

The vintage-fanatics can find an outfit fit for Topanga Matthews at The Mid-Atlantic Club, which specializes in high-waisted jean shorts, cropped sweater vests and velvet skirts.

Because the clothing comes from a not-so-distant era, owner Cat Bodnyk dubs this style “young vintage.”

“A lot of people don’t consider it vintage, but I do, and it’s also mostly in style with younger people, so young vintage works in that sense as well,” she said.