Fraternities under scrutiny for unregistered parties

The University is investigating six fraternities for 10 instances of misconduct reported since last spring, the director of GW’s disciplinary office said this week.

Five of those violations were reported since classes began this fall, and the majority stem from unregistered parties, said Gabriel Slifka, director of the Office of Student Rights and Responsibilities. Slifka said if found guilty, the chapters could face disciplinary or social probation.

The fraternities under investigation are Pi Kappa Alpha, Sigma Chi, Delta Tau Delta, Kappa Sigma, Alpha Epsilon Pi and Beta Theta Pi. None of the chapters’ presidents replied to a request for comment.

Interfraternity Council president Casey Wood said the number of cases was “obviously not going to paint a really good picture” of fraternities, and the IFC is working to maintain a respectable image with the University.

“We are, as an organization, taking a more serious approach to it. And that’s just because it’s a silly problem that can easily be solved,” he said about groups failing to register their events.

The IFC will recommend punishments for the chapters, but the University will have the final say, Slifka said. He declined to comment on whether the number of cases was unusual for the about four-month-long time period or whether city police were involved in any of the cases. He also declined to say whether students were transported to the hospital from the unauthorized parties.

– Jeremy Diamond contributed to this report