‘Manouch’ accused of sexual abuse

The Metropolitan Police Department is investigating a sexual abuse allegation brought against the hot dog vendor who famously serves late-night snacks on 21st Street.

A 19-year-old woman said Manouchehr Nava, known to customers as “Manouch,” hugged and kissed her three times the night of April 20. She said she was unsure whether Nava touched her buttocks while giving her a hug, according to MPD documents.

MPD public information officer Hugh Carew said the case was filed as an allegation, and no arrest has been made.

“It’s a misunderstanding,” Navar said Friday. “As far as I know, I did nothing wrong.”

Nava has been a fixture on campus for nearly three decades, dishing out pretzels and hot dogs on weekend nights where students can also grab a $5 pack of cigarettes and order special “GW sauce.” His cart has remained in the same spot even as the old Tower Records on 21st Street transformed into a CVS.

Nava, who is notoriously camera-shy, opens his stand Thursday through Saturday nights outside the Shops at 2000 Penn from about 9 p.m. to 4 a.m., even though D.C. law restricts hours of operation for mobile cart vendors to 1 a.m. on Friday and Saturday nights.

Colleen Murphy contributed to this report.

Comments were disabled on this post April 29, 2013 due to their derogatory nature. View The Hatchet’s commenting policy here.