Kromah to transfer

Senior guard Lasan Kromah will transfer from the Colonials next season, likely an unexpected and unwelcome blow for head coach Mike Lonergan.

As a graduate student transfer, Kromah will be eligible to play right away at any program he chooses to join. Lonergan told The Hatchet last week that he envisioned Kromah as a starter next year, after the senior spent much of this season providing an off-the-bench spark for the Colonials.

“We appreciate the contributions Lasan has made to our team, and we wish him the best in all that lies ahead for him,” Lonergan said in a Wednesday release.

Athletics communications said Lonergan would not comment further on Kromah’s decision. Student-athletes cannot speak to the media without the approval of the athletics communications department.

Not having Kromah has likely thrown a wrench in Lonergan’s plans for the upcoming season.

“We decided to bring Lasan off the bench [this season],” Lonergan said last week. “I thought it was

Media Credit: Hatchet File Photo
Senior guard Lasan Kromah attacks the basket amid a slew of defenders earlier this season. His decision to transfer will be a blow to the Colonials’ offense, to which Kromah contributed 11 points a game during his time at GW.

good for [freshman forward] Kethan [Savage], because if Kethan wasn’t playing great, we could always bring Lasan in. It’s hard to bring a freshman off the bench – if he’s not playing well, then you don’t have anybody else. I give Lasan credit – we talked a lot about that, and he was willing to accept that role for the team. And he was still playing starter minutes.”

It’s the latest in a series of player-related blows for GW. Sophomore forward Jonathan Davis will also depart the program at the end of this year, and senior forward David Pellom has been granted a release. Additionally, standout recruit Nigel Johnson recently de-committed from the program.

Should Pellom depart, given the graduation of Dwayne Smith and Bryan Bynes, that would leave junior forward Nemanja Mikic as the only player recruited by former Colonials head coach Karl Hobbs. Lonergan is in his second year at the helm of the team.

Taken altogether, the substitutions severely deplete a lineup that already struggled heavily with shooting and establishing a potent offensive game. GW now has a hole when examining its available guards – losing Bynes and Kromah, as well as Johnson, who was looked to as a crucial replacement in that slot.

It also means that, when the late recruit signing period begins April 17, GW will be left with three, maybe four, scholarship slots to fill.

Kromah was an explosive force for GW during his freshman campaign, averaging 11.8 points per game on 45.7 percent shooting. But a torn lisfranc ligament in his left foot, relegated him to the sidelines for his entire sophomore year. Kromah returned to the Colonials’ lineup as a junior, but struggled at times to regain his once-commanding presence on the hardwood before stepping into a leadership role as a senior this year.

Kromah departs GW averaging 11.0 points per game on 44.2 percent shooting with an average of 4.05 rebounds per game.