FoBoGro owner plans for on-campus diner

Get ready for pie, grease and plastic menus. A late-night diner may soon come to campus.

FoBoGro owner and alumnus Kris Hart said Wednesday that he is in negotiations with owners of three Foggy Bottom buildings to build the diner.

The restaurant, which Hart said he has not yet named, would have a full diner menu with reasonably priced food, like a “big old meal you’d get at home for cheap, after you go out all night, [with] cheese all over it.”

Hart did not pin a timeline as to when he might finalize a deal on a property. He said one potential location is on campus, and two others are nearby, on K and L streets.

Hart is also the owner of Relaxed Spa & Tans, in addition to the F Street grocery store and eatery.

The alumnus said he has wanted to bring a late-night eating option to campus ever since he was Student Association president in 2003.

“I have always thought the opportunity was one of the most demanded businesses in our neighborhood,” he said. “I think it’s something everyone’s craving.”

He started planning the project a year ago but has hit some snags along the way.

Hart said investors have already agreed to finance the project, but added that it still needs a finalized property deal and to work through city regulations and construction.