Spilling the (coffee) beans

When the need for caffeine kicks in, the Gelman Library Starbucks and Ivory Tower’s Dunkin’ Donuts can provide a quick fix. But for a better brew outside of the campus rush, head to one of these coffee shops.

Best for black coffee:
Chinatown Coffee Co.

Best for a quiet escape:
Ebenezers Coffeehouse

Best for baked goods:

Baked & Wired

Best for studying:
Tea & Coffee

Best for lattes:
M.E. Swing Co.

Baked & Wired
1052 Thomas Jefferson St., NW

Baked & Wired is more than a cupcake boutique. Snag a seat and catch up with friends, or do some work over their fair trade cold-brew coffee – available in “little” ($2.82) and “big” ($3.27) sizes. In colder weather, opt for a cappuccino ($3.18). Choose from over a dozen cupcakes ($3.50 each) in flavors varying from the traditional “Red Velvet” and “Carrot Cake” to signature inventions such as “Dirty Chai Tea Latte” and “Uniporns & Rainhoes.”

Best for: A quick dose of hipsterdom, plus a cupcake and iced coffee.

Chinatown Coffee Co.

475 H St., NW

Media Credit: Photos by Gabriella Demczuk | Senior Staff Photographer
Chinatown Coffee Co.

Hop on the Metro, and embrace your inner beatnik at Chinatown Coffee Co., located just blocks from the Gallery Place-Chinatown station. Quiet, dark and sparsely decorated, this narrow, hushed café pours a perfect cup of black coffee ($1.82 for a small) at a low price. Chinatown Coffee’s menu also offers beer, wine and absinthe (prices vary), in addition to more traditional coffee shop options. The café currently serves local favorites Dolcezza gelato and Pleasant Pops.

Best for: Black coffee and a hip atmosphere to get your creativity flowing.

Soho Tea & Coffee

2150 P St., NW

Media Credit: Gabriella Demczuk | Senior Staff Photographer
Soho Tea & Coffee

Planning to hole up in Gelman Library for the day? Instead, head to Soho Tea & Coffee, a short walk from Dupont Circle. Ample seating, big tables and Wi-Fi make this coffee shop the perfect study space. Extensive drink offerings are accompanied by a menu of sandwiches, salads and soups, in addition to all-day breakfast options. Order a medium cup of coffee ($2.19) ­– served whimsically in a Mason jar – and settle in with your laptop. Soho Tea & Coffee is open weekdays until 1 a.m. and weekends until 2 a.m. If you study best with a beer in hand, happy hour is every day from 4 to 7 p.m. and offers beers ($2.99 each) and wine ($3.99 a glass).

Best for: Long study sessions – alone or with friends – with food and drinks to sustain your brain.

Ebenezers Coffeehouse

201 F St., NE

Ebenezers Coffee House

Tucked behind Union Station, Ebenezers’ calm atmosphere is a nice reprieve after a long day of interning or running to classes. Ebenezers’ coffee ($2 for a medium) is cheap, and they offer a variety of flavored syrups. Their menu boasts an assortment of frozen drinks – “Ebenezers Freezers” – akin to Starbucks Frappuccinos, as well as espresso drinks and teas. Comfortable chairs and an assortment of board games add a homey feel, making this a prime place to relax with a book or catch up with friends.

Best for: A relaxing escape after a
long day.

M.E. Swing Co.

1702 G St., NW

After trying a latte ($3.91) at M.E. Swing Co., you will never settle for Starbucks again. Just blocks from the Foggy Bottom Campus, M.E. Swing Co. has been serving up its custom-blend roast for almost a century. Inside, you will find vintage décor from the café’s original location near Landmark’s E Street Cinema, along with a handful of tables, along with counter seating. Pop in to refuel on-the-go or for a quick sit-down coffee break.

Best for: A fast latte or coffee, especially after class on G Street.