What’s the deal with Colonial Printing?

If you have yet to venture into Gelman Library, you may have missed the newly installed Colonial Printing system with touch-screen kiosks to print wirelessly.

Academic Technologies and GW Libraries partnered with a service called Wireless Everywhere, Print Anywhere for Gelman and Eckles libraries. The service uses cloud-based technology which allows print jobs to be sent from anywhere in the world to a specific kiosk.

Colonial Printing “is convenient and easy to use,” Michelle Valadez, director of communications for academic technologies, said. Other universities have also adopted the system, she said.

Users can print from library desktop computers, laptops, Apple iOS and Android devices by sending their print jobs to their University email addresses.

“From what I’m hearing, students really like it,” Valadez said.

Before printing from a laptop, users must download and install the Wireless Everywhere, Print Anywhere print driver. For mobile devices, users can download an application from the Apple or Google app stores. USB drives can also be used with the new system.

Each print job stays in the queue for 24 hours.

Single-sided black and white prints are now 7 cents, and color prints are 85 cents. Double-sided black and white prints are 14 cents, and double-sided color prints are $1.70. Previously, students were charged 9 cents for single-sided black and white prints.

Colonial Printing accepts credit and debit cards as payment methods, in addition to GWorld cards and Wireless Everywhere, Print Anywhere cards.

Once the system is tested, Academic Technologies will explore expanding Colonial Printing to buildings across campus, Valadez said.