Athletic year in review

Women’s soccer

Last season: 5-12-2, 11th of 14 in Atlantic 10
Where to watch: The Mount Vernon Campus
Who to look for: Senior Adriana Moya, who tied with the now-graduated Sierra Smidinger to lead GW with 9 total points last season.
The scoop: The Colonials continue to field a relatively young team, welcoming a large recruiting class this year. Tanya Vogel stepped down as head coach at the end of last season to take an administrative position with the University, and Sarah Barnes will assume the role this year.

Women’s water polo

Last season: 12-15, ninth place at CWPA Eastern Championship
Where to watch: The Smith Center
Who to look for: Junior Rachael Bentley, who tallied 49 goals, 50 assists and 99 points to set single-season program marks in assists and points.
The scoop: The Colonials return 12 players this season, including three-time CWPA First Team All-South selection Allison Peotter, who skipped the 2012 season while rehabbing from shoulder surgery.

Men’s rowing

Men’s rowing

Last season: Finished the season placing fourth of six in the Varsity 8 at the IRA National Championships
Where to watch: Potomac River Thompson Boat Center
Who to look for: The Varsity 8 boat – which won a goal medal at the Southern Intercollegiate Rowing Association Championships.
The scoop: The Colonials return an experienced varsity boat to the water this season, graduating just two of its varsity members.

Men’s water polo

Last season: 13-17, fifth place at the CWPA Southern Division Championship
Where to watch: The Smith Center
Who to look for: Junior Daniel Tyner, who earned a slot on the CWPA All-South First Team, finishing second on the team with 48 goals.
The scoop: GW earned fifth place at the CWPA Southern Division Championship after posting a 13-8 victory over Mercyhurst College. The Colonials had no seniors on the roster and will return all 17 student-athletes next season.

Men’s soccer

Men’s soccer

Last season: 10-6-3, fell in overtime of Atlantic 10 championship final
Where to watch: The Mount Vernon Campus
Who to look for: Senior Seth Rudolph, who scored the second-most goals for the Colonials last season.
The scoop: The Colonials claimed a share of the regular season championship last year, advancing through the postseason and falling in overtime in the A-10 title game. Next year, Craig Jones will assume the head coach position following the retirement of longtime leader George Lidster.

Baseball

Last season: 20-35, 13th of 13 in the Atlantic 10
Where to watch: Barcroft Park in Arlington, Va.
Who to look for: Junior Owen Beightol, who led the Colonials with a .309 batting average last season, slugging five homers– tied for the most on the team.
The scoop: The Colonials saw their head coach depart at the end of their last game. Steve Mrowka’s release was announced after GW fell to Massachusetts in its final contest of the season. A nationwide search for a replacement is underway.

Women’s lacrosse

Last season: 10-7, third of eight in the Atlantic 10
Where to watch: The Mount Vernon Campus
Who to look for: Senior Nicole Lacey, who notched three game-winning goals for GW last season, the most on the roster, among 26 total goals.
The scoop: The Colonials secured a spot in the A-10 tournament for the first time since 2009, making a run to the semifinals before falling to top-seeded Massachusetts.

Volleyball

Last season: 20-10, fourth of 10 in the Atlantic 10
Where to watch: The Smith Center
Who to look for: Junior Jamie Armstrong, who led the volleyball team in service aces – and walked onto the women’s basketball team later in the year.
The scoop: The Colonials took the court under new head coach Amanda Ault last season, opening the season with 10 straight victories and making it to the A-10 tournament before falling in the first round to Duquesne.

Women’s basketball

Last season: 11-18, tied for 10th of 14 in Atlantic 10
Where to watch: The Smith Center
Who to look for: Graduate student forwards Tara Booker and Sara Mostafa, returning for their fifth year with the team.
The scoop: The Colonials became the second GW basketball program to undergo a recent upheaval when Mike Bozeman was fired at the conclusion of the season. Jonathan Tsipis, a standout Notre Dame assistant, will take helm of the program in the upcoming year.

Softball

Last season: 25-30, fell in extra innings in Atlantic 10 title game
Where to watch: The Mount Vernon Campus
Who to look for: Sophomore Victoria Valos, who paced GW with a .320 batting average and hit 11 home runs on the season.
The scoop: The program made dramatic improvements in the 2011-12 season, surprising in the A-10 tournament to advance to the title game before falling to Massachusetts in extra innings.

Men’s basketball

Last season: 10-21, tied for 11th of 14 in Atlantic 10
Where to watch: The Smith Center
Who to look for: Senior David Pellom, whose offensive abilities exploded last season, pacing the Colonials in field goal percentage.
The scoop: The season saw the program undergo its first coaching change in 10 years when head coach Mike Lonergan assumed the position. He introduced a defense-first style of play, one GW struggled to consistently implement throughout the season.

Men’s swimming

Last season: Sixth of seven at 2012 Atlantic 10 Men’s & Women’s Swimming & Diving Championships
Where to watch: The Smith Center
Who to look for: Senior Phillip Graeter, who set a career-best and a school record during competition at the A-10 championship.
The scoop: The Colonials set multiple school and personal bests at the A-10 championships, including three second-place finishes on the last day of competition.

Women’s swimming

Last season: Ninth place of ten at the A-10 Championships
Where to watch: The Smith Center
Who to look for: Junior Lindsay Moore, who broke two school records at the A-10 championships in February.
The scoop: GW pushed through a season that saw the team fall in large numbers to illness to set season-best times and multiple school and personal records at the A-10 championships.

Women’s cross country

Last season: 13th of 14 at Atlantic 10 championships
Where to watch: Bull Run Park in Centreville, Va.
Who to look for: Senior Julia Weir, who was the top finisher for the Colonials at the A-10 championship.
The scoop: This year was the program’s first under head coach Terry Weir, who took helm of the Colonials last August.

Men’s cross country

Last season: 13th of 14 at Atlantic 10 Championships
Who to look for: Junior Jackson Carnes, who was the top finisher for GW at the A-10 championship.

Women’s squash

Last season: Walker Cup (C-Division) champions
Where to watch: The Lerner Health and Wellness Center
Who to look for: Junior Jackie Shea, who led the Colonials at the No. 1 slot on the ladder last season.
The scoop: The Colonials earned the Walker Cup (C-Division) Championship for the second time in three years, after claiming the title in 2010.

Men’s squash

Last season: Claimed Summers Cup (C-Division) Championship
Who to look for: Senior Omar Sobhy, who advanced to the finals of the Malloy Cup (B Division) of the College Squash Association Individual Championships, before falling to his Trinity opponent.
The scoop: The Colonials made their second straight appearance in the C Division championship, nabbing the title after falling to Bowdoin in the previous season.

Women’s tennis

Last season: 16-7, advancing to quarterfinals of Atlantic 10 tournament
Where to watch: The Mount Vernon Campus
Who to watch: Junior Leah Pascarella, who joined the now-graduated Jacqueline Corba as the two Colonials to make All-Conference teams at the end of the season.
The scoop: GW earned its third straight season with double-digit victories and had two team members named to A-10 Women’s Tennis All-Conference teams.

Men’s tennis

Last season: 17-8, Atlantic 10 champions
Where to watch: The Mount Vernon Campus
Who to look for: Sophomore Francisco Dias, GW’s top singles player last season who earned the A-10 Most Outstanding Performer and Most Outstanding Rookie Performer awards, the first-ever A-10 student-athlete to earn both honors in a season.
The scoop: The Colonials fought through tough league play, a limited roster and injury to claim their second straight A-10 crown before falling to Duke in the first round of the NCAA tournament– for the second straight year.

Women’s rowing

Last season: Finished second of nine at the Atlantic 10 championships
Who to look for: Senior Anna Kaminski, who was named to the Atlantic 10 All-Conference First Team at the conclusion of the season.
The scoop: GW’s strong season, including second place at the league finals, earned head coach Eric Carcich a Coach of the Year nod.

Golf

Last season: Atlantic 10 champions
Where to watch: The team plays at various courses throughout the season, including hosting the GW Invitational in Bethany Beach, Del.
Who to look for: Sophomore Jack Persons, who was a standout performer on the links for the Colonials last season.
The scoop: The Colonials claimed the program’s first-ever A-10 championship, advancing to NCAA regional competition in May.

Gymnastics

Last season: Seventh place of eight at EAGL Championships
Where to watch: The Smith Center
Who to look for: Standout senior Stephanie Stoicovy, who returned from injury to earn a place on the All-EAGL First Team on both the floor exercise and the all-around.
The scoop: Four members of the roster advanced to NCAA regional competition at the conclusion of last season, and three will return to compete for GW next season.