Engineering dean touts rising prominence of field

Before graduates of the School of Engineering and Applied Science crossed the stage Friday, they heard calls from the school’s dean to take advantage of “one of the most challenging degrees the University has to offer.”

Dean of Engineering and Applied Science David Dolling drew attention to the rising prominence of science and technology and assured students their years of practice in the field would go to good use.

“You can be absolutely sure your engineering and computer science degree will be an asset. What you take for granted, few people actually have. You will be demanded,” he said.

Dolling addressed students with a speech that heavily resembled his remarks to students in the past two years, highlighting diversity, assuaging fears of entering the job market and emphasizing the importance of ethics and continually learning.

“There is no doubt we are living in exciting times for engineering and technology,” Dolling said Friday, as well as at a ceremony in 2010. “The explosion in computer power and sophisticated instruments, combined with the brain power of engineers and computer scientists, now makes possible what we could only dream about a few years ago.”

He said, as he has for the past two years, that 36 percent of SEAS graduates are women, which he pointed out is “way above” the national average.

After Dolling spoke, there was a moment of silence for Taylor Hubbard, a biomedical engineering student who fell to his death in May 2010. An empty seat was set up on stage in honor of Hubbard, who would have graduated this year.

Graduates also heard from Ronald Ross, a senior computer scientist and fellow at the National Institute for Standards and Technology.

Ross called on graduates to take advantage of the many opportunities that will arise from “the complete transformation of society from a paper-based world to a digital world,”

“Opportunity does not guarantee success,” the cybersecurity specialist cautioned. “You will leave tonight with three important things: education from a world-class university, freedom and time.”

Patrick Swindell, the 21 year-old brother of senior Jeremy Swindell, spent the ceremony smiling widely, cheering when his brother and his friends received their diplomas.

“He’s been working so hard, and I wanted to show how much I love him. He’s my role model,” Swindell said.