Writing professor to join prestigious society

Thomas Mallon, a professor of English and director of the creative writing program, will be inducted into the American Academy of Arts and Sciences in October.

He is the third person affiliated with the University in two years to join the research center and prestigious academic society, which honors diplomats, scholars, writers, scientists, corporate leaders and others. University President Steven Knapp and Martha Finnemore, a University professor of political science and international affairs, were inducted last fall.

“We look forward to drawing on the knowledge and expertise of these distinguished men and women to advance solutions to the pressing policy challenges of the day,” Leslie C. Berlowitz, the academy’s president, said in a statement.

Among the more than 200 new members to be inducted into the academy this fall are Secretary of State Hillary Clinton, musician Paul McCartney and director Clint Eastwood.

“I’m very pleased and surprised to be in such wonderful company,” Mallon said in a news release.

Founded more than 230 years ago, the academy honors leaders in a variety of fields who produce non-partisan research.

Mallon is the author of essays, non-fiction and eight works of fiction, most recently penning “Watergate: A Novel,” a political commentary that dramatized the scandal.

Mallon was on the creative writing faculty at Vassar College for 12 years before holding leadership positions at GQ magazine and the National Endowment for the Humanities. He has been an adjunct professor at GW since 2007 and became director of the creative writing program in 2010.

Dean of the Columbian College of Arts and Sciences Peg Barratt was excited to learn of Mallon’s nomination.

“We are so appreciative of the role he plays in sparking the imagination of our students while continuing his work as an accomplished and successful writer,” she said.