Elections 2012: Austin Brewster

Executive vice president candidate

• Year: Junior
  • Major: International business
  • Hometown: Rowlett, Texas

Platform: Accessibility of the SA, student financing and building ties between graduate and undergraduate students

Clubs/Activities: Brazilian Latin Percussion Ensemble, president of the Black Men’s Initiative, Organization of Latino American Students, Black Student Union, the Philippine Cultural Society and Multicultural Business Student Association

Previous SA Experience: None

Favorite @FakeStevenKnapp tweet: “I don’t really do Twitter.”

Junior Austin Brewster describes himself as a hands-off leader who would not force his agenda on his staff.

Unlike other candidates for Student Association executive vice president, he said he does not want to “push” priorities from the top when senators could lobby on their own for causes that directly affect their constituents.

He said, “the position of the executive vice president is to preside over the senate,” and he does not see the need to micromanage senators’ projects throughout the year. Instead, he plans to focus on motivating members of the senate to make themselves known among the student body and take action on concerns they hear.

“I would like to have the future EVP and president make it their goal to be a presence on campus. I would like them to attend at least one function per student org,” Brewster said.

He would set up office hours for students or organizations to meet with the SA leadership team to make their concerns known.

Brewster would also like to hire additional staff to handle funding applications, which would improve the efficiency of doling out SA money, he said.

To forge stronger connections between undergraduate and graduate student populations, Brewster said he would host events appealing to both groups’ interests.

“Events that will appeal to both groups will get them involved and interacting with one another,” Brewster said.