ANC commissioners approve new chair

Foggy Bottom’s flagship neighborhood group switched up its leadership posts Wednesday night to comply with bylaws that prevent any representative from holding an officer spot for more than two consecutive years.

The Foggy Bottom and West End Advisory Neighborhood Commission voted in Florence Harmon – who represents a large portion of campus in her constituency – as the body’s chair. Harmon, who joined the group in 2007, assumed the new role from former chair Rebecca Coder at the end of the meeting.

“She’s a hard act to follow,” Harmon said, praising Coder for her commitment to the ANC during her two years as the body’s chair. She added that Coder was known for her late-night e-mails and diligence with deadlines.

Coder said that she thinks Harmon will be an effective chair.

Harmon has a history of serving as a mediator between the University and neighbors, most recently calling for compromise during a clash between locals who alleged the campus eatery and grocery store FoBoGro was creating noise and loitering problems.

Coder commended Harmon on her commitment to her constituents’ other concerns, including noise from the local club Shadowroom.

While meetings are open to the public, only commissioners vote in officer elections. The chair’s duties typically include leading the monthly meetings, enforcing ANC rules and handling administrative tasks – like filing documents and submitting paperwork to government agencies.

Coder, who represents the West End and Rock Creek Park, was elected vice chair. Watergate Complex representative and former vice chair Armando Irizarry will fill the role of secretary.

Alumnus Graham Galka, who joined the commission in October, will serve as treasurer.

All votes among the six-person commission were unanimous.

Coder said she enjoyed her time as chair and is proud of the team’s work.

“We’ve done a tremendous job over the last few years, and it felt really good as far as we moved the community forward,” Coder said.

Commissioners gifted Coder a bouquet of flowers to honor her leadership and service to the community.

Harmon declined to comment beyond her statements during the meeting because of her job at a PR firm.