Marvin Center to launch space-booking website

The University will roll out an online scheduling system in January that will allow student groups to reserve rooms and meeting spaces in the Marvin Center.

University spokeswoman Michelle Sherrard said details – such as whether student organizations will be able to pay for the room and equipment online and if other buildings would eventually be added to the site – are still being finalized.

With the current reservation system, student groups submit forms to the Marvin Center’s scheduling office or by e-mail, which takes several days to process.

“Now you’ll have all of the information at your fingertips,” Dylan Pyne, chair of the Marvin Center Governing Board, said. “You can really tailor the room to your needs, in the convenience of your residence hall room or office.”

Aria Varasteh, the Student Association’s vice president of student activities, said the new system will allow groups to put rooms on hold on a “first-come, first-serve” basis, although requests must still be processed by the scheduling office during regular business hours. Varasteh said he expects academic departments to eventually have access to the system as well.

He said the system will launch in tandem with the Marvin Center’s new website, which will be overhauled as part of the University-wide effort to make its online presence more uniform.