Staff Editorial: Housing information for transfer students

Throughout the year, the University has attempted to construct a strong sense of community for students living on the Mount Vernon Campus.

One way the University has sought to achieve this goal is by placing a majority of transfer students on the Vern. Of 250 students who transferred to GW this fall, about 150 have been placed on the Vern. In doing so, the University said it hopes that transfer students will be able to ease themselves into the GW with a more tight-knit and established community.

While this is certainly an admirable way to build a sense of community on the Vern, it is troubling that transfer students are given little warning that they may be placed on the campus.

Besides seeing their housing options on the standard GW living information website, admissions does not provide any advanced warning to transfers of their heightened odds that they may be living on the Vern.

The University should be sure to properly advertise and promote the Vern throughout the admissions transfer process. Students should not be surprised to learn that they are not living on Foggy Bottom when they receive their housing assignment, but should instead be familiar with the Vern and the opportunities and benefits of the campus.

The University is right to work to create a community amongst transfer students on the Vern, but students should be fully aware and informed of these efforts.