Men’s players to watch

John Kopriva

Year: Freshman

Position: Forward

Height: 6-foot-8

Hometown: Milwaukee, Wis.

Kopriva averaged 14 points, six rebounds and 3.5 blocks per game while shooting 58 percent as a senior last year at Milwaukee’s Marquette High School. Kopriva originally committed to the University of Vermont but asked to be released to follow head coach Mike Lonergan to GW. His physical, athletic play made him a standout during preseason practice.

Tony Taylor

Year: Senior

Position: Guard

Height: 6-foot-1

Hometown: Sleepy Hollow, N.Y.

Taylor carried the Colonials offensively last season, starting every game, leading the team in scoring, assists and steals, and is a 2011 All-Atlantic 10 Preseason First Team pick. This season, Taylor will be looked to not only as an offensive catalyst on the court, but as a leader – head coach Mike Lonergan has a desire for Taylor, fellow senior Aaron Ware and graduate student Jabari Edwards to set the pace for GW.

Nemanja Mikic

Year: Sophomore

Position: Forward

Height: 6-foot-8

Hometown: Novi Sad, Serbia

Mikic’s freshman season can be summed up in one shot: the three-pointer. The Serbia native lead all of Division I freshman in three-point percentage, shooting 43.6, was the team leader in three-pointers made, with 75, and set the new benchmark for most three-pointers by a freshman at GW. But he’ll need to be a consistent scoring threat for GW this season and Lonergan wants to see the forward develop his game past the trey.

This article was updated on Nov. 8, 2011 to reflect the following:
The Hatchet incorrectly reported that Nemanja Mikic led all of Division I in three-point percentage. The sentence should have stated he led all of Division I freshman.