GW houses transfer students on the Mount Vernon Campus

Sophomore Madleine Brennan didn’t expect she would end up living closer to her hometown in Arlington, Va. than the White House when she transferred to GW this year.

Brennan, who transferred from Dickinson College in Penn., checked her housing assignment online to discover that, she, along with about 150 other transfer students, were placed on the Mount Vernon Campus.

The University placed 100 additional transfer students in the campus’ six residence halls.

Director of Housing Seth Weinshel said in the past, students said “a more formalized community” would help students transferring from other universities transition to GW.

There are 250 new transfer students at GW this fall, consistent with past years’ figures, University spokeswoman Jill Sankey said.

Rachelle Heller, the associate provost for the Mount Vernon Campus, said many transfer students share rooms with freshman students so both students can learn GW together.

Weinshel said the University was able to cluster transfer students on the Vern because of the smaller freshman class and the addition of Lafayette Hall, which reopened this fall and houses about 160 freshmen on the Foggy Bottom Campus.

Transfer students living on the Vern shot back against this community feeling, saying living on Foxhall Road is even more isolating.

Sophomore Dahn Levine transferred from San Francisco State this year and said he was shocked to learn he would not be living on Foggy Bottom.

“West Hall is nice, and the quiet is nice, but getting to the city is not worth it,” he said.

Brennan has been surfing the room-swap website but hasn’t been able to find another student willing to move to the Vern. This week, Brennan said she requested readmission forms for her former university.

“If I had known I would have been on the Vern, I would not have transferred,” Brennan said.