Colonials Weekend: Explore new areas: Rock Creek Parkway

Colonials Weekend is the perfect opportunity for you to get off your bottom and show your family how well you know D.C. The Hatchet’s cheat sheet will help you seem like quite the Washingtonian, and give you an inside scoop on the lesser-known details of the District. Read up so you can be the tour guide this weekend.

Rock Creek Park is like an oasis for nature lovers in the middle of the city, extending 12 miles
from the Potomac River to the border of Maryland.

Established in 1890, the park has over 25 miles of trails and offers locations for boat and bike rentals as well as the opportunity for golfing or horseback riding. The trails are perfect for a short stroll or day hike. Paths through the park connect prime shopping and eating locations, such as Georgetown and Bethesda, Md.

Besides being known for its outdoors-y side, the area is also home to several boutiques that have earned their own reputations with their artistic wares. Stores such as Wake Up Little Suzie, Vintage No. 5 and Carbon have all gained respectability, and provide a fun day for anyone looking to do some shopping.

Whether you’re browsing the shops or meandering along a scenic trail, the area promises not to disappoint in terms of sights and adventures. For locals, this is the place for a day of relaxation and enjoyment away from the normal bustle of the city.

Insider Tips

Can’t find that gift you’ve been searching for?
Wake Up Little Suzie is worth a peek – you’re sure to find something, even for the people in your life who are hardest to shop for.

Why not try biking?
There’s more than one way to get around in nature. Big Wheel Bikes is a rental shop in Georgetown, right on the edge of the Mount Vernon Trail in Rock Creek Park.
Open Tuesday through Friday 11 a.m. to 7 p.m. and Saturday and Sunday 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. 1034 33rd St., NW

Rock Creek Nature Center and Planetarium

This educational and interactive center has shows that are perfect for children. Saturdays and Sundays, there are shows for kids 5 and up at 1 p.m., and for ages 7 and up, the show is at 4 p.m. Tickets are free for pick-up.
Hours: Wednesday to Sunday 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
5200 Glover Road, NW

Peirce Mill in Rock Creek Park

This historic landmark is holding a heritage festival Saturday, Oct. 15th to celebrate its re-opening. Artists, craftspeople and historians will be dressed in 19th century apparel, and will demonstrate what daily life was like for people of that period.
Hours: 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
The intersection of Tilden Road and Beach Drive, NW

Wake Up Little Suzie

This neighborhood gem is a large boutique that contains a wide assortment of goods. Everything from jewelry to ceramics can be seen in this store.
Hours: Monday through Friday 11 a.m. to 7 p.m., Saturday 11 a.m. to 6 p.m. and Sunday 12 a.m. to 5 p.m.
3409 Connecticut Ave., NW