Colonials Weekend: Explore new areas: Eastern Market

Colonials Weekend is the perfect opportunity for you to get off your bottom and show your family how well you know D.C. The Hatchet’s cheat sheet will help you seem like quite the Washingtonian, and give you an inside scoop on the lesser-known details of the District. Read up so you can be the tour guide this weekend.

The Eastern Market neighborhood is a gem next to the crown jewel of the Capitol that should not be overlooked.

Located east of the Capitol Building, Eastern Market encompasses a hub of rainbow-colored townhouses, 59 city parks and its namesake – a historic market frequented by locals and tourists alike.

Completed in 1873, Capitol Hill’s Eastern Market served as a center for commerce until 2007 when it was damaged in a fire. Later that year, the historic site was rebuilt and has been serving local shoppers ever since.

On weekdays, the indoor market’s permanent vendors sell baked goods, cheeses and fresh flowers. On weekends, visitors enjoy a farmer’s market. Sundays are a treat for arts and crafts junkies, with the weekly flea market. Eastern Market is a must-see location to get a sense of Washington beyond the politics.

With such a centralized location, only a stone’s throw from Capitol Hill and within walking distance of the Mall, there is no reason to miss out on this neighborhood.

Insider Tips

Famished from shopping?
Head over to Market Lunch (located in Eastern Market’s South Hall) and try the famous crab cakes, or check out brunch on a Saturday – try the buckwheat blueberry waffles.
Hours and location: see “Eastern Market”

Picnic after food shopping
Located about five blocks northeast of Eastern Market, Lincoln Park is ideal for a picnic al fresco after you’ve finished your food shopping. Its seven acres make it the largest of four major parks in Capitol Hill.
Hours: 5 a.m. to midnight
Location: East Capitol Street, NE and 11th Street, SE

The Market

Come any day of the week – except Monday when it is closed – for the permanent produce, cheese and meat stalls, or on the weekends for the outdoor farmer’s market and flea market. Enjoy “Music in the Yard,” featuring everything from jazz to acoustic rock, at the flea market from noon to 1:30 p.m. and 2 to 3:30 p.m.

Market:
Hours: Tuesday through Friday 7 a.m. to 7 p.m., Saturday 7 a.m. to 6 p.m., Sunday 9 a.m. to 5 p.m., closed Monday
Location: 225 7th St., SE (between North Carolina Avenue and
C Street, SE)

Flea Market:
Hours: Sunday 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Location: Hine School Yard, 7th and C streets, NE

Barracks Row

This up-and-coming area is comprised of five blocks that feature a variety of shops and dining venues ranging in price and flavors. Students, come back next September to attend the annual Fall Festival – a day of traditions, including food and music.
Location: 8th Street from Pennsylvania Avenue, SE to M Street, SE