Athletic department announces two new coaches

Andrea Giraldo joined the women’s tennis program as an assistant coach and Ashley Campbell will take to the sidelines for the cross country program, the University announced this week.

Giraldo comes to Foggy Bottom after spending the past year as student assistant coach for Texas State University, a program she played for from 2006 to 2010. While competing for TSU, she played at the top singles and doubles slot for three of her four seasons, taking the Bobcats to their first-ever Southland Conference Championship semifinals as a team captain in 2010. Giraldo guided Texas State to the SLC semifinals for the second straight year as a student assistant coach last season.

The women’s tennis program finished fourth at the 2011 Atlantic 10 Championships last season, ending the year with a 12-7 spring-season record and posting their second straight season with double-digit victories.

Campbell comes to the Colonials immediately following her 2011 graduation from the University of Maryland, where she served as captain of their cross country program from 2008 to 2011. She finished 56th at the 2010 NCAA Mid-Atlantic Regionals, an event where she finished 47th in 2009. Campbell also finished fifth at the 2009 UMES Lid-Lifter and ninth at both the 2009 Wolfpack Invitational and the Great American Festival.

The Colonials opened the 2011 season with a sixth place finish of six at the Mount St. Mary’s 5K Duals, and next head to the Navy Invitational Sept. 17.