University without chief HR officer

The University has been without a chief human resources officer since Louis Lemieux resigned from the post in mid-July, University officials confirmed this week.

Lemieux, who joined the University as chief human resources officer in Sept. 2009, stayed on as a “special advisor” to facilitate the transition, Executive Vice President and Treasurer Lou Katz said. The search for a replacement is in its early stages, he added.

“I appreciate the contributions Louis has made toward transforming Human Resource services at our institution,” Katz said. “His focus on building a customer service-oriented organization and commitment to solving problems have helped strengthen the services the HR team provides.”

The chief human resource officer is responsible for managing personnel records, benefits, staff employment and wage and salary administration, according to the College and University Professional Association for Human Resources.

“I am so very proud of the work we have done to transform HR services at GW,” Lemieux said. “We have built a strong team and shifted to a much more customer service-oriented model.”

Lemieux, who returned to private consulting in New York City, specializes in assessing organizational areas for improvement in human resources departments, a mission he felt he achieved in his two-year tenure.

Lemieux said he and top administrators agreed summer was the ideal time for his departure. “I see the important role HR can continue to play in the future at GW,” he said. “I want the momentum to continue.”