D.C. Shorts Film Festival take over the big screen

Keep it short, keep it reel.

The tagline of this year’s D.C. Shorts Film festival sums it up – mini films with maximum heart.

Director of the festival Jon Gann said the revamped film showcase has a more tapas approach this fall, allowing viewers to taste a little of everything.

The D.C. Shorts Film Festival is the largest short film festival outside of California, and the third largest festival in the country. Short films of every genre, style, and subject are selected for the event, all sharing a commonality in their abbreviated length.

The festival, featuring 145 films from 23 different countries, will air in four venues in the D.C. area, including for the first time the Artisphere Theater in Rossyln, Va.

This year’s festival was expanded to add four more days, a change in response to the amount of sold-out shows they experienced last year.

During the film competition weekend, from Sept. 8 to the 10, the films will screen in 17 unique 90-minute showcases — all followed by question and answer sessions with the filmmakers.

“I think we’ve all sat through ninety minute films with just 10 minutes of plot,” said Gann. “Now you’re seeing nine for the price of one.”

The cinematic celebration will also include a program of parties to accompany the films themselves; a celebrity bash at Madame Tussaud’s Wax Museum, a Brazilian carnival-theme at Artisphere, and a closing bash at the Atlas Art Center.

For struggling artists or those short on cash, there are free family movie screenings, scheduled Sept. 10, 17 and 18. One caveat, tickets must be reserved in advance.

There are free lunchtime movie screenings scheduled Sept.11 through the 15. Regular tickets are available in advance online for $12 and available for $15 at the door.