Sports in Brief: Basketball adds two recruits

The men’s basketball program welcomed two new Colonials last week, when former Villanova forward Isaiah Armwood announced his intention to transfer to GW, and Episcopal High School guard Kethan Savage became the program’s first 2012-2013 recruit commitment.

Armwood is the first major transfer to GW since head coach Mike Lonergan took the helm of the program. Per NCAA regulations, Armwood will sit out the upcoming season, but he has two years of eligibility remaining.

The 6-foot-9, 210-pound forward made seven starts in 31 appearances with Villanova last season, averaging 2.5 points and 3.6 rebounds, earning a .491 field goal percentage while posting an average of 17 minutes per game. The Wildcats finished the 2010-2011 season with a 21-12 overall record, falling in the first round of the Big East Men’s Basketball Tournament to South Florida. Villanova also traveled to the second round of the 2011 NCAA Men’s Division I Basketball Tournament, before falling to George Mason.

Savage became the second new addition to the program Aug. 27, when ESPN reported the guard’s commitment to GW. Savage is listed as a three-star prospect and has a scouts grade of 89 out of 100 by ESPN.com, a ranking echoed by Rivals.com and Scout.com.

The 6-foot-3, 190-pound Savage averaged 17.7 points per game and posted a 76.2 free throw shooting average. He’s also ranked as a five-star football recruit prospect by ESPN.com.

The 2012 recruiting class is the first under Lonergan, who looks to build upon last season, when the Colonials posted 17-14 overall record under former head coach Karl Hobbs, tying for fourth in the Atlantic 10.