Must-have items for the fall

Women’s Fashion

Leather Jacket
A leather jacket is both edgy and feminine, and it can make the simplest outfit extra chic. Its versatility makes it suitable for both day and night, and any onlookers will think you’re a natural fashionista. So whether you’re headed to class or a hot date, you’ll always look fashionably late.

Pencil Skirt
This slim-fitting skirt is the perfect way to continue showing off your summer figure into the cooler temperatures of fall. The skirt creates a very sophisticated look and can be paired with just about anything – from flats to pumps, or a cotton tank to a silk blouse.

Riding boots
With their tall, sleek design, these equestrian-style boots will give your wardrobe that sporty edge while remaining feminine. They can be worn with jeans, a dress or anything in between. Try looking for a pair with few embellishments to avoid distraction from the simple style of the boot.

Standout Jewelry
There will be no need for demure jewelry this fall – instead look for bold pieces that may even clash with your outfit. Scope out jewelry that has large stones or is heavily decorated or beaded.

Men’s Fashion

Sportcoat/Blazer
You live in the heart of D.C. – you wouldn’t want to meet a congressman in your sweats, would you? You don’t have to be suited up 24/7, but a sports coat will instantly make you look more professional and smarter while remaining casual.

Long-sleeve striped button down shirt
These shirts are extremely versatile and make you look professional no matter what you wear with it. They are perfect for a casual or formal occasion, as they can be paired with jeans and worn under a sweater or a suit.

Lightweight scarf
In fall weather, you want to be as comfortable and relaxed as possible. That is hard while wearing a heavy winter scarf, so instead try a lightweight scarf that you can wrap however you want. Be sure to learn how to wrap it correctly so that it doesn’t fly away!

Gadgets

Techy.
8 GB flash drive: As students with busy schedules, we must always be prepared. Carrying a flash drive around at all times is essential. It will come in handy for quick file transfers, creating backups or for those printing emergencies that require you to run over to Gelman Library at midnight.

Unwind.
Gaming Console: We all know that school comes first, but that doesn’t mean you can’t take a timeout once in a while. It might not be such a bad idea to invest in a gaming system that will let you have some fun before hitting the books. With the variety of systems on the market that cater to various types of gamers, even those who are hesitant will surely find something. Remember though, that some self-control will help you avoid carpal tunnel.

Broom clean.
Swiffer SweeperVac: Nobody likes coming home to a messy floor, but who wants to clean it? Swiffer makes the daunting task easier with the new 2-in-1 Swiffer and vacuum. Push one button and this cordless machine will suck up whatever has been dropped on your floor while picking up dirt with its disposable pad.

Stay healthy.
Scale: Whether you’re an incoming freshman or a senior, say goodbye to the Freshman 15. A scale will make you more aware of any weight loss or gain. Many of us do not want to take that tiny step, but it could be that motivation you need to keep in shape. Losing too much weight too fast could be stress-related, and if you notice you’ve put on a few pounds, maybe it’s time for a couple trips to the gym.