Where can I learn more?

Knowing how to take advantage of all the opportunities GW offers through its partnerships with D.C. institutions might seem overwhelming for freshmen. To help you out, The Hatchet outlined where to go and why.

Columbian College of Arts and Sciences

The GW Medieval and Early Modern Studies Institute

Founded in 2008, this institute welcomes undergraduate students to study history, literature and culture of the medieval and early modern European time period through classes and outside work. Partnerships with institutions like the Folger Shakespeare Library, adjacent to the Library of Congress, allow students to learn interactively about the period.

Center for Urban Environmental Research

Collaborations with high-profile institutions, including the World Bank and National Institutes of Health offer students access to extensive information and opportunities. The center focuses on innovative research and urban development planning in a practical setting, allowing students to work closely with faculty members.

Global Media Institute

The brainchild of the School of Media and Public Affairs and the Graduate School of Political Management, the institute produces the well-known public broadcast show, The Kalb Report. Research opportunities include working on the POLITICO-George Washington University Battleground Poll, a nationally acknowledged bipartisan survey project.

Mind-Brain Institute

With roots in famous research by GW psychologist Richard Walk in the 1960’s, the institute has long invested extensive work into cognitive and behavioral neuroscience. Through collaborations with federal agencies and research centers, international organizations and private industries throughout D.C., students are able to gain hands-on experience in science labs.

Elliott School of International Affairs

Institute for Middle East Studies

A popular concentration for international affairs students, Middle East Studies courses are taken outside of the classroom with this institute, founded in 2007. Extensive research on the history and future of nations in the region allow students the opportunity to further their knowledge of Middle East relations.

Institute for Public Diplomacy and Global Communication

Partnered with the Columbian College of Arts and Sciences, the institute is a leader in research in the fields of media, security, foreign policy and diplomatic relations. A well-established relationship with the U.S. State Department means students are able to have a closer look at how foreign relations work, participating in conferences, panels and lectures on current issues.

School of Engineering and Applied Science

Center for Biomimetics and Bioinspired Engineering

Undergraduate fellow positions give students a role in conducting research, incorporating hands-on experience with their academic studies. Practical lab work brings faculty, graduate degree candidates and undergraduates together to advance the knowledge of natural phenomena within engineering applications.

School of Business

Research Experience for Undergraduates Initiative

The program fosters partnerships between undergraduates and faculty members to provide opportunities with ongoing research projects. Participation in the initiative also allows students to forge independent research under a faculty adviser.