What’s everyone saying?

Not sure what all those terms and acronyms mean? Here’s your GW glossary:

4-RIDE: A shuttle service operated by the University Police Department, 4-RIDE is designed to help students feel safe getting around campus at night. Many use 4-RIDE during inclement weather or just to travel to a party within the shuttle service’s travel radius.

ABP: Short for Au Bon Pain, this sandwich, soup and snack restaurant is located in the 2000 Penn shopping center.

CDs and CRs: The College Democrats and College Republicans are two of the largest and most active student groups on campus. Pay your dues to receive a T-shirt and display your party pride, particularly during election season.

Club G: Gelman Library, located in the middle of the Foggy Bottom Campus, is a venue frequented by any conscientious student. The University recently allocated $16 million towards a renovation of its first floor, which is expected to commence beginning summer 2012.

The Deli: Famous for having the best breakfast sandwiches around, GW Deli is generally known for its cheap and delicious eats. Located on G Street next to the Fishbowl, this is a great place to grab a bite, but avoid the lines by going before class – not after.

EMeRG: GW’s Emergency Medical Response Group is a student-run organization that provides emergency medical care to students and community members 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. While EMeRG does help with general injuries, you are more likely to see students being transported to the hospital for over-consumption of alcohol.

FoBoGro: Foggy Bottom Grocery is a local grocery store and deli right next to Anniversary Park on F Street that’s perfect for short shopping lists and made-to-order sandwiches and salads. It is open until midnight for a late snack, and they also recently started a delivery service.

HelWell: The Lerner Health and Wellness Center is the main gym on the Foggy Bottom campus. In addition to a pool and several floors of exercise equipment, the center also provides group fitness classes and an eatery called Campus Fresh that offers healthy and tasty food options whether you are there to work out or just to grab a quick meal.

Manouch: For longer than anyone seems to remember, this hot dog street vendor has stationed himself right outside of the School of Media and Public Affairs building on weekend nights. Most GW students have bought hot dogs or soft pretzels from him after a night of heavy partying. Ask for GW sauce to make your nighttime treat even tastier.

PB: The Program Board is a student organization that plans school-wide events like Welcome Week and concerts like Fall Fest and Fountain Fling, as well as other similar events throughout the year.

SA: The SA, short for the Student Association, is GW’s student government. It distributes funds to student organizations and represents the student body. Test your political skills by vying for a position in the legislative, executive or judicial branch, or support a friend during campaign season. Ask students who have partaken in previous years – it can get rowdy.

SmarTrip: Look like a real D.C. local by getting a SmarTrip card for the D.C. Metro system. Instead of purchasing a farecard every time you are ‘Metroing,’ bypass the card machines and tap your way through the turnstiles with this permanent pass.

UPD: UPD stands for University Police Department, located at 23rd and G streets. UPD officers are responsible for keeping GW safe, and they patrol campus by foot, bicycle and minivan every day.

The Avenue: The Avenue is the recently completed apartment complex located across from GW Hospital at 2221 Eye Street. It will be home to a Whole Foods supermarket, as well as several other eatery options. The building is a new addition to the list of off-campus housing options for juniors and seniors.