University police nabs suspected bike thief

A University Police Department officer apprehended a suspected bicycle thief in the act Tuesday during a plainclothes operation.

UPD Chief Kevin Hay said plainclothes officer Matthew Knight noted “suspicious” suspect Demetrius Jones, about 57 to 58 years old, cutting a cable lock off a mountain bike on a rack at the Academic Center breezeway at about 2:30 p.m.

The alleged thief – who had a Northface backpack and was kneeling beside a black and red mountain bike – was preparing to leave the scene when the officer arrested him, Hay said. He had burglary tools, including a crow bar, bolt cutters, screw drivers, a knife and a cordless electric saw, according to police documents.

Hay said the bike belonged to a student who was in class during the attempted theft. The bike is valued at $700, according to the documents.

Jones, a thin male between 5-feet-7-inches and 5-feet-11-inches, was processed by the Second District Metropolitan Police Department station about two hours later.

Plainclothes UPD officers last nabbed a suspected bike thief in possession of burglary tools in University Yard in March. From July to March 28, 78 bicycles were stolen on the Foggy Bottom and Mount Vernon campuses.

“Members of the GW Community who bike to class are encouraged to use U-shaped bolt locks rather than cable locks,” Hay said. “Use two locks if you have them.”