University mulls replacing Wendy’s

The University is in talks with its food service provider to remove the Wendy’s location in J Street.

The eatery’s removal is part of ongoing discussions with Sodexo and GW regarding potential changes to J Street for fall 2011.

Wendy’s is one of the few outside vendors on campus that accepts dining dollars credited to Sodexo, which caters J Street and Pelham Commons, providing students with another food option beyond the normal café entrees.

“We lease our space from Sodexo, who indicated to me that there was the potential for a change,” Jeff Garver, director of operations for the University, said.

Garver emphasized that no official decisions have been made. He said he hopes to rally student support for Wendy’s to keep the location open.

“Clearly the students enjoy the food, the Wendy’s has been well-received,” Garver said. “We very much enjoy being associated with the University.”

A contract between Sodexo and the union prohibits Sodexo from leasing space in J Street to any new outside vendors, which would prevent a non-Sodexo restaurant from replacing Wendy’s.

Nancy Haaga, the managing director of Campus Support Services, said the University was not prepared to disucss the possible removal.

“The University is continuing its work to determine changes that will be made to improve the campus dining program for the 2011-2012 academic year,” Haaga said. “No decisions have been made as of yet. We will provide information to you when it is the appropriate time to do so.”