Senior Profiles: Sarah Leibach: Building a nonprofit org from the ground up

Sarah Leibach had an itch for nonprofit work, but couldn’t find an organization to meet her interests.

So she started her own.

Leibach started Camp Kesem, a student organization that runs a camp every summer for children whose parents are battling cancer.

“Most of my practical skills have come from the camp, because we fundraise all of the money it takes for the kids to attend the camp and we do a lot of outreach,” she said.

Running the camp for three years has also provided Leibach with some unique experiences, such as meeting with the director of the National Cancer Institute.

Leibach currently interns with Orr Associates Inc., a nonprofit consulting firm in D.C., and eventually hopes to pursue a career with nonprofit organizations.

“My degree has prepared me for a career in communications, but my work with Camp Kesem and the cancer community has gotten me excited about the nonprofit world,” she said, “I hope to use my education to help nonprofits in the future.”

Leibach is enrolled in a dual-degree program within the School of Media and Public Affairs. As a political communications major, three of Leibach’s senior year classes counted toward both her undergraduate and graduate degrees.

She will be continuing her education at GW next fall with nine credits more than the average graduate student. Leibach will be working toward a master’s in media and public affairs.

Leibach was also a member of the sorority Pi Beta Phi, serving as leadership and nominating committee chair.