GW to centralize wireless networks this summer
By Hannah Marr, Assistant News Editor • April 25, 2024
GW to renovate Pelham Commons this summer
By Barry Yao, Staff Writer • April 25, 2024

Former softball player sues University over abuse case

A former softball player is suing GW after the school stopped paying to treat injuries she sustained during her sporting career at the University.

Sara Neumann, 26, is filing for about $11,000 in damages from GW, saying in a complaint that GW unilaterally decided in 2009 to stop assisting her with treatment and therapy payments, according to court documents. She suffered injuries in 2004 under allegedly abusive former softball coach Shaunte’ Fremin.

Fremin resigned in 2004 amid abuse allegations, after multiple players said she coerced them to play despite serious injuries and exceeded the maximum 20-hour practice limit.

Fremin prevented Neumann from visiting doctors while injured in February 2004, according to the documents, and forced her to continue practicing. Her injury subsequently worsened.

Over the past six years, Neumann has endured two knee surgeries as a result of the initial softball injury and “expects to undergo at least one more knee surgery in the near future,” according to court documents.

From February 2004 to October 2009, the University assisted Neumann with treatment and therapy costs related to the softball injuries, but said in October 2009 that it is no longer obligated to pay, according to the documents.

GW also did not inform Neumann it planned to cease payments in October, according to the documents. Neumann learned that the payments were halted from her medical provider’s billing department.

Since the University ceased the aid, Neumann has paid over $9,000 in knee treatment expenses, according to the documents.

Jason Ehrenberg, Neumann’s attorney, said his client’s case focuses on the payments, as opposed to previous cases that revolved around the abuse charges.

“This case is regarding injuries she sustained while on the softball team, this has nothing to do with other cases,” Ehrenberg said.

University spokeswoman Michelle Sherrard declined to comment on the case, stating GW does not comment on pending litigation.