GW ends Greek investigations

As the University wraps up its open cases against two Greek-life chapters, a top administrator warned Friday that further investigations into GW’s 41 social chapters are forthcoming.

Delta Gamma will “likely not go through a judicial process,” and Pi Kappa Phi has been sanctioned for its non-hazing related charges, Tara Pereira, assistant dean of students and director of Student Judicial Services, said. Delta Gamma has been under investigation since last November for hazing allegations.

“We’re wrapping up Delta Gamma in a non-judicial way in the next few days,” Pereira said, adding that as the University was looking into the sorority’s charges, SJS did not find substantial reasons to merit a judicial process.

Delta Gamma president Ricci Poormon did not return a request for comment.

The University has continually declined to elaborate on Pi Kappa Phi’s charges and Pereira repeatedly declined to name the chapter’s specific sanctions Friday, saying only that the sanctions “were more in line with social probation and education.”

“When chapters make a mistake that hurts or harms a member, I’m more willing to share that information,” Pereira said. “But when a chapter makes a mistake that is internal only, I’m less likely to share.”

Pi Kappa Phi President Matthew Calardo did not return a request for comment.

As SJS wraps up the two open cases, the body is preparing to launch new investigations into an undetermined number of chapters. Pereira said she doesn’t know how many chapters would be fully investigated as her staff has been focusing on closing the five cases that cropped up this fall.

“After spring break we will have decided what the larger investigations will be, if any, and what the one-time infractions were,” Pereira said.

As of Friday, Pereria said none of the chapters were facing hazing charges and all of the charges are “minor.”

Director of Greek Life Christina Witkowicki declined to comment on the number of investigations.

The news of further investigations continues a 6-month saga where an unprecedented number of chapters have been under investigation. Kappa Kappa Gamma, Pi Kappa Alpha and Sigma Phi Epsilon were formally charged with counts of hazing, providing alcohol to minors and underage consumption of alcohol in January. The three chapters were put on social and disciplinary probation and were stripped of their townhouses on Townhouse Row. Phi Kappa Psi, Phi Sigma Sigma and Sigma Chi will move into the vacated townhouses.

With the housing announcement late last month, Student Activities Center Executive Director Tim Miller said housing leases will now run for 3 years instead of 2, and chapters will be able to continually add time to their leases “barring serious incidents or the chapter choosing to not re-lease the facility.”